PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homeade Fabric Conditioner

Comments

• Hi all,
    I recently ran out of fab con and wondered if any of you MSE'ers know what else I can use instead.

I've put water softner in with usual powder but it really doesnt seem any different.

Any tips would be very useful right now as next shopping day isnt till end of the month, OH seems to have realised we need to save money. :rolleyes:
    :p PinkPunkBird :p
  • Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    White and brown vinegar is the only way to go in my house...
  • What quantities would you use?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The same amount as you would use of fab con will be fine.

Put it into the fab con part of your soap dispenser in the usual way.

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Thanks will give it a go now as there is a load of whites to go in :)
  • You can add a drop or two of essential oil to make it smell nice, but I don't bother. The powder leaves them fresh and the vinegar seems to soften them and stop jumpers etc going bobbly.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    I used to use white vinegar in all my laundry but now just save that for white washes. For jeans and dark washes I use the ordinary cheap malt vinegar... its half the price of white!

A couple of tablespoons is plenty.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, :)

I've finally found an earlier thread on fabric conditioner and have added these posts onto it to help keep all the answers in one place.

You'll need to read from the beginning to catch up :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • I used white vinegar today with a few drops of cranberry and orange oil. I used half a cup of vinegar as someone on another thread suggested and my clothes came out with a slight whiff of the vinegar and not at all smelling of the oil!! Either i did something wrong, or it just doesnt really work as well as i thought :confused:
    "IM JUST SITTING HERE WATCHING THE WHEELS GO ROUND AND ROUND, I REALLY LOVE TO WATCH THEM ROLL. NO LONGER RIDING ON THE MERRY-GO-ROUND. I JUST HAD TO LET IT GO"
  • I use vinegar and have noticed that if I use essential oils my clothes smell no different, so I scent our drawers/wardrobes with lining paper splashed with eo or little cotton bags stuffed with cotton wool or whatever I have handy again with a few drops of oil of my choice. Closets & drawers always smell nice and our clothes smell lovely too.
    I won't buy it if I can make or borrow it instead
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport