Tap water for free- on your travels

Katiehound
Katiehound Posts: 7,513
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 5 February 2016 at 2:10PM in Freebies (no spend required)
Official MoneySavingExpert insert: This thread's from 2011, but we've checked (on Friday 5 Feb 2016) and it's still working. Check the webpage below or download the Tapwater.org app.

Back to Katiehound's original post...

As far as I can see as long as you have a refillable water bottle (I don't think you have to have a specific model) you can top at various locations for free. This could be quite useful in hot weather!

http://www.tapwater.org/refilling-stations

The idea is that we stop buying bottled water, not only for the financial cost but the cost to the environment in the form of discarded plastic

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
Many thanks
-Stash busting: 337 in 2022
Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already

Comments

• Chocmonster7
    Chocmonster7 Posts: 2,606
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Interesting idea but the nearest place to me is 18 miles away, I'd certainly need a drink after that walk! ;)
  • 9 miles away for me; but good idea if you have one near wherever you are going.
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    I bet they will only allow you to do it if you have bought (at high price) their stainless steel water bottle. No doubt they will say it is against health and safety to refill plastic ones.
  • simon_says_3
    simon_says_3 Posts: 184 Forumite
    It's against the law to charge for drinking water..so unless they refuse to refill your bottle, you can drink as much as you like pretty much anywhere in the UK
  • dbrookf
    dbrookf Posts: 590
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    30 miles for me! :o
  • Anacrusis
    Anacrusis Posts: 161
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's 21 miles for me - but I already have metal water bottles and no where I've asked for a re-fill has ever turned me down!
  • Anacrusis
    Anacrusis Posts: 161
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh actually sometimes little hot drink stands have said that they don't have cold drinking water - didn't know if it was true or not!
  • vixki
    vixki Posts: 99 Forumite
    simon_says wrote: »
    It's against the law to charge for drinking water..so unless they refuse to refill your bottle, you can drink as much as you like pretty much anywhere in the UK

Yeah but a lot of places refuse to give you water unless you buy something else...

I think that it'd be handy if public loos (eg in shopping centres) had a 'drinking water' tap - so you could fill up water bottles etc, most of the places on this tapwater map are out of the way and that's not very useful.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,175
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    simon_says wrote: »

Which 'Law' would that be then ?
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Selling Alcohol responsibly - The Mandatory Licensing conditions that came into force April 2010 say
    3. The responsible person shall ensure that free tap water is provided on request to customers
    where it is reasonably available.
    from
    http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/assets/files/New%20mandatory%20licensing%20conditions%20-%20Home%20Office%20April%202010.pdf
    so yes you have to be 'customer' eg spend money first.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure