PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Using holiday home as permanent home

2»

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    elljay wrote: »
    For example someone I know moved into a holiday let while waiting for their own house to be sold, and ended up just staying on - over 2 years now. It's in the middle of the village and everyone knows but no-one is bothered, why should they?

Some people will "care" as using a holiday home in this way can lead to the creation of a new residential dwelling in an area where the planning policies restrict new dwellings e.g. National Park, AONB etc.

Create too many new dwellings and - potentially - you open the floodgates to new development. This is the main reason why the properties only have PP for restricted use - it prevents sprawling development in an area which has been given protection against development. Hence, many people will report unauthorised occupation.

I do agree with you though - the buildings are there already. I'm struggling to find a rental property in a rural area .... in an AONB .... so I know exactly what you mean!
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Maybe but with young people no longer able to find anywhere affordable to live in this area and the ridiculous example of the son having to commute from the town to his father's farm even though his father is quite happy to convert a barn into a house for him, it seems really wrong that the planners don't allow permanent rentals and good that some holiday landlords are prepared to enter into arrangements to both help themselves with year round rent and help others seeking accommodation.
  • elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    sorry Debt_Free_Chick, I didn't see your message before sending mine. I wish you all luck in your search, it wasn't easy for me either but I am supremely grateful that I can live where I am.

As you say the buildings I'm talking about are already there but because there are so many of them they are often for weeks or months on end. The national park's recently published development plan has made the locals furious as it concentrates too much on the visitor side of things to the detriment of the locals, most of whom have lived and worked here for generations and before the invention of national parks, aonbs and the rest.

I hope you find somewhere soon, but when you do I think it's really important to contribute to local life, shops, churches, organisations etc, there are plenty of commuters who are never around during the week.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I hope you find somewhere soon, but when you do I think it's really important to contribute to local life, shops, churches, organisations etc, there are plenty of commuters who are never around during the week.

Agree completely. I work from home two days a week, am the Parish Council Clerk, edit the Parish Magazine, open/close the Church, help with Church fundraising an organised the Fete two years ago :D But you're right - many contribute nothing. There are a few (though not many) that I've never even met/spoken to!

We have a wonderful and strong community spirit which is why I want to stay here ... and it's breathtakingly beautiful ... at least, to my eye.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    OK, well, for contibuting. I am staying with my parents. My dad is a weekender, my mother lives here fulltime.

I returned home last year while my husband was completing a contract abroad I consider my self a temporary resident. Every year my father donates the main prize to the village raffle (which raises loads) and my mother and I when I am here bake like billyo for the cake stalls at the fete, the garden sales. We also contribute to all the other village events, though rarely attend or tend to pop in for a drink an show face. Te other weekenders or work in londons also contribute a lot (not least use of grounds for events and money). In previous years when I was living in London I would come down for the fete (though not te other events) and bring cakes or stuff for the bric and brac stall and every year I have been in the county I have manned a stall at this thing. I agree its sad when village spirit is lost but I think its really sad when the village cuts off the 'incomers' and makes them feel like NOT contributing. In fact, in our village and our previous two villages I think the 'part time in londoners' all contributed MOST in time because they were keen to live the dream. I appreciate it isn't always so but as someone who also loves village life it oes make me frustrated when this divide occurs.
  • neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    the son having to commute from the town to his father's farm even though his father is quite happy to convert a barn into a house for him,

There are special rules in relation to agricultural workers - perhaps he could look into those?
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • Madmel
    Madmel Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    We own a holiday cottage, but before anyone starts to criticise, it is the original stable & creamery which are attached to our house & unable to be sold on separately.

According to the original planning permission, we can let 52 weeks per year but any individual let can only last a maximum of 14 weeks. Over the winter, some of the holiday parks here close up. They have people who live in the static caravans for 9 months of the year, and so for the winter, they book into the holiday cottages for a 3 month (13 week) let whilst the parks are shut. We are in a AONB too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure