The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Has Anyone used SpraySeal roofing solutions?

I was at the ideal home show at the weekend and saw a company called "sprayseal" https://www.sprayseal.co.uk

They seem to do a foam insulation on the inside of the roof which they claim has unrivalled insulation properties and cures roof problems.

I've looked at the website and can almost see how this would work, but I'm worried that this is one of these coating type companies that will cost you thousands and not add anything to the property.

I'm also unsure what a surveyors view of using these type of products would be or if they would rather see a traditional type re- roof.

A house we are buying needs underfelt to the roof etc doing (same roof as put on in 1907) and just want views of anyone please!

Many thanks

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    ive seen similar products elsewhere and it always strikes me as another dubious home improvement con.
    ive no idea if the system is any good or not, its just my general impression.
    mainly caused by the way its marketed.
    you can bet your life that the sales tactics are similar to dg and kitchens etc... commission only salesmen eh?
    Get some gorm.
  • kbh4031
    kbh4031 Posts: 1,129
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There ws one of these roof spray companies on rouge traders about a month ago, not sure what company it was, i would be careful. Maybe it would be a good idea to checkout bbc rouge traders website and see if it has anything on there. Make sure you do your research.
    Let us know what you find out
    :D
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This was mentioned on DIY forum some weeks back about this kind of stuff, the consensus was to stay clear of it as it could do more harm than good.

Here we go

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=355181&highlight=spray+roof
  • I follwed the link to read the forum. How can you say the concensus was to stay clear as it did more harm than good? If you did indeed read it, you can only come to the conclusion that the people who have had it installed are more than happy, and the others had no direct knowledge other than " I heard this stuff is bad" etc.
  • knowloads
    knowloads Posts: 368 Forumite
    As a fast and simple insulation it is very effective. There are 100's of companies offering this for domestic roofs whuch must have no roofing felt, (ie slate or rosemary tiles pre-1950s). It was first used on commercial buildings, but many direct sales companies have got hold now so prices can be high. Roofers hate it if a new roof is needed and many will refuse to do any work as the slates are glued together. Some issues with ventilation and can push tiles out as it expands. I would recommend re-slating with new membrane and laths. Then add extra standard insulation .
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    bobsa1, you never did reply back to my messages last year regarding the cookie cutter set you sold me and then never sent out.
  • Hi..its me again.
    I had 'sprayseal' and another company 'sprayfoaminsulation' round to qoute for a job. Had to listen to two sales pitches and look through two brochures of previous jobs. The pictures of previous jobs were the same!! Just the names had changed eg one claimed St James Hospital the other Leeds General Infirmary, one claimed studio work at Elstree the other at Yorkshire TV... it was the same with pictures of private houses, barns etc.
    I confronted both companies who each claimed the other salesman was lying...it got a bit out of hand really and left a very bitter taste in my mouth. The guy from sprayfoam was particulary vile explaining why a host of other companies were dodgy, producing photocopies of bankruptcy notices and so on.
    Frankly, after what i saw and heard, I wouldn't touch sprayseal or any other foam company with a bargepole.
  • Avoid these like you would a dose of gonorrhoea.

The treatment itself is suspect as it locks dampness in and prevents repairs to roof tiles in the future, and promotes rot to the timbers in the process

And it seems that the companies selling this tat pop up, fold and pop up again phoenix-like with alarming regularity - which would not be so bad if it did not nullify guarantees and prevent complaints to them after a few years when the homeowner realises that the roof has further problems
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you want to destroy your roof, devalue your house, then go ahead and install this c rap.
  • Avoid these like you would a dose of gonorrhoea.

The treatment itself is suspect as it locks dampness in and prevents repairs to roof tiles in the future, and promotes rot to the timbers in the process

And it seems that the companies selling this tat pop up, fold and pop up again phoenix-like with alarming regularity - which would not be so bad if it did not nullify guarantees and prevent complaints to them after a few years when the homeowner realises that the roof has further problems
    The guarantee is worse than useless anyway. Some of mine just crumbled off so they claimed that their product is such high quality that could never have happened. :rotfl:. Tried approaching the trade body, but they just seem to be a bunch of stooges.

They refused to actually come and inspect it (great guarantee) but suggested that I must have hacked it off (not sure what my motivation for that would be for doing this). They then suggested that it was probably done during a break in. Presumably a break in committed by a tiny burglar who replaced all the roof tiles and didn't steal anything once he was in. Then they stopped responding to correspondence, so it's the court next, I guess. Complete thieves, avoid like the plague.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure