Mobility car, what happens when person dies?

Hope I can get some advice from someone who knows....

My mother inlaw has sadly passed away and her and my father inlaw have a mobility car, it's all in her name (she didn't drive as she has no licence, he did) which they have had for the last 3years they did it so that they was paying it off so they could keep it rather than chopping it in for a new one, it has another 1year 4months left to go on it, so what happens now she has passed away as obv it was for her as she was a poorly lady but father inlaw would like to keep it. Is that allowed, can he keep it? if we pay it off? Who do I contact to find out?

Any help would be gratefully received as we have no idea what to do x

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    You need to contact Motability.

http://www.motability.co.uk/about-us/contact-us/
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Contact motability who will be able to give you all the info you need.
  • lou47lee
    lou47lee Posts: 190 Forumite
    Thank you x
  • lou47lee wrote: »
    Hope I can get some advice from someone who knows....

My mother in law has sadly passed away and her and my father in law have a mobility car, it's all in her name (she didn't drive as she has no licence, he did) which they have had for the last 3 years they did it so that they was paying it off so they could keep it rather than chopping it in for a new one, it has another 1year 4months left to go on it, so what happens now she has passed away as obv it was for her as she was a poorly lady but father in law would like to keep it. Is that allowed, can he keep it? if we pay it off? Who do I contact to find out?

Any help would be gratefully received as we have no idea what to do x

Do you mean Motability vehicle via DLAHRM, with an extended lease, or do you mean a mobility adapted vehicle on a 5 year hire purchase agreement with 1 year and 4 months left on the repayment terms ?

If you mean a Motability vehicle I assume you have not informed the DWP of the demise of your in-law. The DWP pay the DLAHRM money to the garage that supplied your mother in law. You must inform the DWP immediately of any change in circumstances of the mother in law.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • mysterywoman10
    mysterywoman10 Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Very sorry to hear of your families loss.

When you register the death, they also give you a form to fill in so that benefits being received can be notified to the DWP. The only one you have to notify separately is Housing Benefit/Council Tax to the Local Authority.

As adviced ring motability. All the best.
    The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed.
  • lou47lee
    lou47lee Posts: 190 Forumite
    Do you mean Motability vehicle via DLAHRM, with an extended lease, or do you mean a mobility adapted vehicle on a 5 year hire purchase agreement with 1 year and 4 months left on the repayment terms ?

If you mean a Motability vehicle I assume you have not informed the DWP of the demise of your in-law. The DWP pay the DLAHRM money to the garage that supplied your mother in law. You must inform the DWP immediately of any change in circumstances of the mother in law.

Yes it is on a extended lease which has 1 year 4 months left of payment to go, we have informed DWP x
  • lou47lee wrote: »
    Yes it is on a extended lease which has 1 year 4 months left of payment to go, we have informed DWP x

You are not clearly stating if the arrangement is with Motability.

If the £54.05 / week your MIL was awarded for a High Rate Mobility award is being paid by the DWP to Motability and your MIL extended the [low mileage] lease the £54.05 / week stops being paid by the DWP to Motability, Motability then tell the dealer that supplied the vehicle that the vehicle payments will stop - and the garage get in touch [usually within a month] to take the car away.

If the arrangement is not between your MIL the DWP and Motability who is paying for the car ?
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • bigboybrother
    bigboybrother Posts: 342 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2013 at 6:18PM
    As the recipient of the HRM award has now died, and if the car was either on HP or was a leased vehicle with Motability, it will have to go back. You will have the option of buying Motability's interest in the car. You cannot continue paying the agreement either way.

If it is a leased vehicle, you can buy the car off Motability at the normal retail price value.
    If the vehicle is subject to a HP agreement you will have to pay the full outstanding balance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure