Barclaycard refund

Hi All

I have just checked my Barclaycard account online and see they have refunded my PPI insurance directly to my account, whereas I requested a refund directly to my bank. I know I should not moan as it's to the tune of £3087 which clears the debt, however the account was not in default despite me telling them I am struggling to pay, but I really wanted the money to clear some other priority debts first.

Can anyone tell me is this striclty legal what they have done as they put me in a muddle with the money in the first place.

Help please.

Thanks
Putty

Comments

• LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    This isn't a definitive answer, but I've seen the same question a hundred times and iirc the answer is "yes they can". :(

Still, it's one debt cleared which is good, right? :)
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,905
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not sure if they can or they can't, but as they have - could you now use the barclaycard for your normal spending and use the equivalent amount of money to pay your pressing debts. this would soon get you back up to £3k or so

or if you need the cash more quickly at cost of 3% do a balance transfer to the offending cards - I know that would really grate giving them that money £100, but I imagine a whole world of pain in trying to reverse the payment. and £100 might be worth it for you in terms of money saved on other debts

you could also try and bargain, say look you think they made a mistake, but if they reduced the 3% fee you wouldn't take it any further, or if they would give you a preferential rate on any balance
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • putty71
    putty71 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Hi

I cannot deny it's good to clear a debt, the problem is that I will quickly use it to clear other debts:o
  • putty71
    putty71 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Has anyone else had this problem?
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Hi there......:D
    Not sure if you've checked this link out yet, but worth checking on here as well to give you some ideas on this.;)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1596473
    This is how the FOS works out refunds.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills