Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Starting a new thread regarding this subject.

Yes you can. If you no longer have the account number and branch sort code please send the bank or credit card company your name with any changes that may have happened, any relevant addresses and your date of birth and this should help them trace your account.

As always read Martin's article and then read it again before you start your claim and you'll find the addresses you need along with lots of other very useful information in the Reclaim Help Thread which is linked in my signature.

Step-by-step Guides: Bank Charges: Emergency Guide | Bank Charges: Reclaim Your Cash | Bank Charges Petition | Bank Charges Video Guide | Credit Card Reclaiming | Top New Bank Account Calculator: Charge them interest Template Letters: (right click and save) Ask for charge details |Initial letter | Second letter | Small claims note Get Updates On Important Changes: Free Weekly Money Tip

Comments

• peasepud
    peasepud Posts: 13 Forumite
    hi,

In the past I had serious problems with charges which resulted in the closing of my account and opening of a basic one. That was 3 years ago and since then Ive paid off the overdraft and got sorted.

I know from reading other threads that I can claim from the closed account but do I need the details of it or will the bank sort it from my current one?
    From memory Yorkshire bank were charging me on average 3 failed DD/ Cheque letters and roughly 15 to 20 days charges per month between 1997 and 2005. In total thats about £250 per month for 8 years. I did nothing about it :(
  • Twinkly
    Twinkly Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    peasepud wrote: »
    hi,

In the past I had serious problems with charges which resulted in the closing of my account and opening of a basic one. That was 3 years ago and since then Ive paid off the overdraft and got sorted.

I know from reading other threads that I can claim from the closed account but do I need the details of it or will the bank sort it from my current one?

If you already have your sort code and account then it is a bit easier, frankly. If not, write for your details advising of full name and address with postcode, date of birth, dates account opened/closed if known and sometimes the address of your local branch helps. The type of account helps too. This information is sufficient for them to trace the account and was enough to trace an old, closed and archived account of mine.

Your current may be useful if they have record of your past account stored in its details, I dont know if they actually add previous account details to current records though. Good luck :)
  • Hi

I am considering reclaiming approx 5 years worth of charges from Abbey totalling roughly £2000. I closed the account in March 2006 (after trying to close it since October 2005) and now have an account from Natwest - no problems with charges! - do I still have the same chance of reclaiming my money? Do I have to mention anywhere in my letter requesting statements the fact that the account is closed?

Any advice would be gratefully received! Cheers
  • Twinkly
    jennie1 wrote: »
    Hi

I am considering reclaiming approx 5 years worth of charges from Abbey totalling roughly £2000. I closed the account in March 2006 (after trying to close it since October 2005) and now have an account from Natwest - no problems with charges! - do I still have the same chance of reclaiming my money? Do I have to mention anywhere in my letter requesting statements the fact that the account is closed?

Any advice would be gratefully received! Cheers

You will need to mention it as they may claim not to have record of it if it doesnt immediately show on the system. Pre-2004 information will be archived but this will not be a problem and they will be able to locate your details. You stand exactly the same chance as everyone else with regard to reclaiming and there have been successful cases of closed accounts charges settled. It doesnt make any difference in that regard. Good luck :)
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No they can see that for themselves when they look into your account. Claiming from closed accounts is no problem. Be careful though that you don't exceed the six years - they go back from NOW not when you closed the account.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • 4 years ago i had a savings account, debit account and then i applied for a switch account. after becoming unemployed i started using the cheque book and guarantee card to get money from cheque cashing places because they i hadnt been sent the pin number for my account, and in the space of a month i ran up around 600 pounds worth of debt even tho i only had a 200 pound overdraft i started to get charged every week and got phone calls from the bank asking to pay the money back. i eventually payed most of the money back then they closed my switch account. can i reclaim these charges even though i blatantly took liberties on my switch account?

advice would be much appreciated. thanks.
  • Don't worry. It's got nothing to do with how you used your account. It's all about the fact that bank charges are onerous and unlawful. You can claim charges back up to 6 years. That doesn't mean the banks want you to though!

Go for it!
  • Many years ago I had an overdrawn with the Bank of Scotland. After some arguing over charges, they closed the account and pursued me through debt collectors. I was wondering if I can reclaim charges on a closed acocunt?

Thank you.
  • Twinkly
    wdevlin wrote: »
    Many years ago I had an overdrawn with the Bank of Scotland. After some arguing over charges, they closed the account and pursued me through debt collectors. I was wondering if I can reclaim charges on a closed acocunt?

Thank you.

Yes you can. Request your 6 years details as a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act sending the statutory £10 fee for this service. Some banks dont charge or return your cheque but I dont know about RBS in particular sorry, someone else might. You will need your account number and sort code but if not your full name and address with postcode and date of birth with details of account according to type and opened/closed dates will be sufficient to trace you.

Good luck :)
  • I have a very bad history of debt... Over the past six years, my bank history includes Natwest, Lloyds TSB, Halifax, Capital One, HSBC and MINT.

If I have had several different accounts with the same bank, do I need to include a tenner for each account? Should I send a separate letter for each account?

When I was younger with Natwest, I had a Switch account and lost my job. I had no money and I kept spending on a card with no overdraft. It eventually reached -£2000 (most of which was charges) before they took action and closed the account. Could I get most of this back?

I don't have a record of any of my old account numbers really. Is there any way I can find out?

If I take on the above banks, am I likely to end up getting blacklisted by them and find it hard to get banking services anywhere?

Cheers. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport