PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    :wave: You lot don't arf natter when I'm gone (am I really that boring to have around :rotfl:) so the briefest of skimming for me I'm afraid :o

Muvva had acute labyrithitis a few years back & really knocked her confidence, so my sympathies for those suffering at the moment. She found gink0 bil0ba helped as it was said to improve blood flow around the head back then, so may be worth a mention to your pharmacist or physician? Hope the symptoms fade for you soon tho x

I am most deff inn 8 lee a
    :happylove mum-might :happyhear stalwart of the Inner Sanctum of Brownliness :happyhear With Push coming into the Last Chance Caboose & staying longer each time, I have looked at the alternatives... :o Who would have thought the humble hop & a bit of this n that would produce ale AND a fortifying preserve/condiment :tongue:
    Actually a teaspoon of this delight stirred through a mug of boiling water is a lovely warming beverage for this time of year, speshly with a few hunks of dry bread to dunk :D & is adds a good flavour to things like cottage pie & casseroles.

Forgive my prattling..I've been in a silly mood for a couple of days (just in case you hadn't noticed ;) ) \muvva's just had a couple of days with the most awful D&V :( We're off down the surgery this morning-- :eek: just seen the time!--so my brain has been left to wander of its own accord :rotfl: It's a coping mechanism that works for me, so I'm afraid you lot cop the fall-out :laugh:

Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    meme30 wrote: »
    I have never fancied Marmite or Vegiemite, but I did not realise it was full of Vit B. I have an odd mal-absorbtion of Vit B so I try up eat more to compensate. IYKWIM I'll pick some up and try it.

If you have no luck with any of the 'varients' of Marmite, try brewers yeast tablets ...

available from most health shops or the usual on-liners ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=brewer+yeast&!!!!!googhydr-21&index=drugstore&hvadid=9643954371&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16699169551340823218&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_75pjf2ahk8_b
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    meme30 wrote: »
    I have never fancied Marmite or Vegiemite, but I did not realise it was full of Vit B. I have an odd mal-absorbtion of Vit B so I try up eat more to compensate. IYKWIM I'll pick some up and try it.

i forgot to mention earlier that as we age our ability to absorb and utilise b vitamins decreases so for anyone that's been feeling a bit more sluggish with the years upping your b vitamins may help a bit

energy drinks are loaded with them too but i've found them quite harsh if consumed regularly (and very expensive) marmite and the occassional supplement of b complex is a nicer way of dealing with it, well for me at least

also, i've found b vitamins far more efficient than caffeine for boosting mood and productivity, and i'd guess healthier than caffeine, just be careful not to take too much, whilst they are water soluable vs fat soluable and therefore expelled quickly taking too much of them can be bad for your health.

natural consumption via seeds and nuts, yeast extract and meat are probably the best way to up consumption for most people. also if you consume more seeds and nuts you'll often find your skin improves greatly too ;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    Forumite
    :) There's also a useful side-effect to taking brewer's yeast; it makes you less attractive to biting insects. I've learned that it even disincentives a truly vicious little critter called the black fly, a native to New Zealand, so small you can barely see it, but bites like you can hardly believe.

You'd need to take the tablets for several weeks before going to an area with biting insects. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    One thing to remember about brewer's yeast tablets is that they are not suitable for Celiacs to take as they still contain some gluten after production. I am not sure about Marmite or Vegemite as I can't stand either of them. Some stock cubes have wheat starch in them and are not suitable for celiacs either so if you are sensitive check the labels.

Great news! Today is beautiful here...the sun is out and it's lovely , but there is a breeze that could freeze dry the bones off you if you are in the shade. Unfortunately we are getting the force ten winds back tonight so the shutters will have to be locked again. The villagers have so many layers of clothes on that you can only see their eyes LOL Bless them, they really feel the chill factor.

But for the time being my washing is all on the line, the Christmas decorations are up, the house is cleaned and my kitchen window is open to let the cold air in. I even found the postman for the first time in 16 days ....and he had someone helping him.....wonder if my complaint to the head office worked then?

OH has gone to pay the mortgage in town while the going is good.

Hope you are all well and happy..sounds like some of you need a big hug...hope you feel better soon.
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    I was going suggest Marmite in soups, stews and other hot drinks but wasn't sure how much taste it would offer or how much you'd have to use. I started to think about oxo cubes and Bovril...but don't know enough of them as to whether they have any health giving properties.

Brewer's Yeast tablets they bring back memories, I remember my Father taking them and yet I don't remember why he started as I don't remember him being told or going to the Dr about being low in Vitamin B etc...I eat a reasonably healthy diet even if I eat less and I do take a suppliment that has all the appropriate vitamins and minerals too.

Of course there are Vitamin B Complex tablets as another alternative.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Thanks for all your replies re using disposable BBQ's. I had a feeling they werent advisable indoors but wasnt sure why, so thanks very much for keeping me right.
    VJsmum - genuinely sorry to hear about your BIL. An awful way to lose someone x
  • missrlr
    missrlr Posts: 2,192 Forumite
    I have used for many years m3tat0ne for a B vit and other trace elements pick me up if I am / have been unwell. Everyone in my family swears by it to get you going after any sort of unwellness. You *should* get sufficient Vits and Mins from a good varied diet, lots of veggies and so on, but your body needs more when under duress or attack.

Currently with my head being on a boat every afternoon I am swigging this daily in an attempt to balance out the lurgies. I don 't take it daily just when I am feeling unwell. Perhaps given life is chucking poop at me big style this year I would have been wise to take more - except I think I'd end up a walking supplement!!!

So sorry to hear of your loss VJsmum, huge hugs to you. For all others with sorrows and poorlies, hugs also.

Quick q to my fellow sufferers of vertigo / labrynthitis - mine has abated in the morning, but some lunchtime my head gets back on that blinking boat! I am taking this as a positive that the ishew is being dealt with! Anyone worked out the trigger for their's as yet? Anyone else have time specific symptoms? I think I am having to chalk mine up to a virus ... nice and non specific that one!
    Start info Dec11 :eek:
    H@lifax [STRIKE]£13813.45[/STRIKE] paid Sep14 paid 23 months early :T
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£206400[/STRIKE] :eek: £199750 Mortgage £112500
    B@rclays £[STRIKE]25000[/STRIKE] paid 4 years 5 months early. S@ntander £[STRIKE]9300[/STRIKE] paid 2 years 2 months early
    2013 8lb lost 2014 need to lose 14lb. Lost 4 so far!;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    Forumite
    :)missrlr, the GP said the labyrinthitus is sometimes as a result of an infection but is mostly idiopathic (medi-speak for we don't understand what causes it). Mine was that kind.

It came on completely out of the blue (suddenly went so spinny I fell out of an office chair, which takes some doing :o) and it went away after a couple of weeks. I noticed that I had to avoid sudden head movements as these seemed to preciptate it, but couldn't pin it to any time of day etc. HTH.

I won't be online much longer as have had a tiredness headache for 48 hours and am planning a very relaxing evening and early night. Keep well, preppers and bystanders, love GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,423
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hope you feel better soon GQ x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories