Son/daughter going to uni in September 2012. What do we need to buy?

Comments

• sumosami
    sumosami Posts: 65
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Depending on how interested they are in the kitchen ...I got my daughter a single person size slow cooker ...was fab ...she could throw in some meat, veg & packet casserole mix, put it on low all day & it was ready for her to eat when she got in at the end of the day ...they didnt really have any problems with anyone pinching other peoples things ...maybe they were lucky
    Also had to buy her a decent internet cable as the signal was rubbish at her uni as was the cable provided :)
  • Anyone got any idea if Uni halls have aerials? Daughter coming home this weekend and taking her tv back with her. I had asked her to check, but of course she hasn't!
  • the-mango
    the-mango Posts: 818
    Xmas Saver! I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Anyone got any idea if Uni halls have aerials? Daughter coming home this weekend and taking her tv back with her. I had asked her to check, but of course she hasn't!
    will just depend on the uni nd halls you might be able to find out online on their accommodation pag
  • Anyone got any idea if Uni halls have aerials? Daughter coming home this weekend and taking her tv back with her. I had asked her to check, but of course she hasn't!

Just checking that your daughter knows she'll need a tv license if she's in halls.
  • Just checking that your daughter knows she'll need a tv license if she's in halls.

....and she can watch BBC iplayer on her computer for free....:)
  • Just checking that your daughter knows she'll need a tv license if she's in halls.

Yes, thanks for the reminder, but she does know. Going to sort it today. She wasn't going to take it with her, but she is finding her room quite isolated ( next to a staircase) 3 people in her section with her who never seem to appear, only a wall opposite, and a kitchen not big enough for a table. Then a set of fire doors in a big old cavernous hall not unlike a prison! ( Not the halls she wanted, unsurprisingly) She has made friends in other halls and on her course now thankfully, but she' s had a rough two weeks and at least this means she can invite people to her room to watch TV.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Just checking that your daughter knows she'll need a tv license if she's in halls.

Not if the TV belongs to the parent, who has their own licence at home and the tv is only used in hall when it is running off an internal battery.

Some halls run their own cabled tv service, that you can view on laptops ( so easier to comply with the I internal battery requirement).
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • But how often do proper TVs run off internal batteries?
  • the-mango
    the-mango Posts: 818
    Xmas Saver! I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    If she's buying a TV license anyway she could also just stream live TV off her laptop (if the screen's big enough to watch comfortably) from http://www.tvcatchup.com/
  • Yes, thanks for the reminder, but she does know. Going to sort it today. She wasn't going to take it with her, but she is finding her room quite isolated ( next to a staircase) 3 people in her section with her who never seem to appear, only a wall opposite, and a kitchen not big enough for a table. Then a set of fire doors in a big old cavernous hall not unlike a prison! ( Not the halls she wanted, unsurprisingly) She has made friends in other halls and on her course now thankfully, but she' s had a rough two weeks and at least this means she can invite people to her room to watch TV.

I would get her to request a move… some students leave within the first few weeks, so hopefully she can get one of their rooms x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure