Can I get antibiotics at NHS walk in centre?

I need antibiotics for an infection in my leg. My GP's closed till Monday and even then I wouldn't get an appointment for God knows how long.

They have an open surgery Wednesday but I don't want to risk the infection getting out of hand by waiting till then.

Can I ask for them at a walk in centre, does anyone know?

Thanks.

Comments

• wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    I'm pretty sure that all walk-in centres are effectively a replacement GP service and can prescribe like them. I know in London my daughter had antibiotics prescribed for her daughter's ear infection.
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Doesn't your doctors have an out of hours service, i know they can give antibiotics, but i honestly am not sure of what limitations are for walk in centres.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • The walk in clinic we have here prescribed me some for a chest infection recently.
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • The walk-in centre here has prescribed me anti-biotics before now, you should be ok
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My OH was advised to go to our Walk In Centre by our GP surgery when he couldn't get an appointment for that afternoon. He saw the nurse in the walk in centre and she gave him antibiotics (he has a pre paid prescription certificate). This was for a leg infection which is becoming ulcerated - this is his third different type of antibiotic and finally seems to be doing the job. PS - his Dr says he probably got the infection from an insect bite.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone for that. I'll go up to our walk in centre now and get it sorted.
  • TeaForOne
    TeaForOne Posts: 64 Forumite
    Yes - if you need them they will prescribe them.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • zaksmum
    Thanks teaforone. It's just that I know from experience that if I don't get the antibiotics ASAP I'm in trouble!
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Before ours closed we used to call it the "take two paracetamol" centre... because that was ALL they recommended for anything.

Arm fallen off - take two paracetamol, go to A+E if it gets worse
    Nasty rash on your privates - two paracetamol, A+E
    Zombie apocalypse meaning an axe is embedded in your skull... two paracetamol...
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • zaksmum
    Before ours closed we used to call it the "take two paracetamol" centre... because that was ALL they recommended for anything.

Arm fallen off - take two paracetamol, go to A+E if it gets worse
    Nasty rash on your privates - two paracetamol, A+E
    Zombie apocalypse meaning an axe is embedded in your skull... two paracetamol...

Ha ha! Love that about the zombies and the axe buried in your skull:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport