The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

How can I make an overpayment to woolwich online

I have a woolwich mortgage and I have barclays online banking. Now each month woolwich take a dd for the regular payments which shows up on my statements including my account number 9659... (a total of 10 digits) but no sort code.
As the morgage is with the bank I bank with I would have thought there was an easy way to make an online overpayment, however, I can't see one. Indeed there seems to be no way to make any online payment without knowing the sortcode and account number.

1. Am I missing something obvious in barclays online banking
2. Has anyone actually done what I want to
3. Does anyone know the relevant sortcode

Please don't just say walk in to the branch - I'm afraid it isn't that simple.
There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    All my wollwich accounts show up with the sort codes on on-line banking, but we have an offset so that may be a difference.

Have you checked what you can do with the mortgage linked current account you have, you might be able to set up a mini offset arrangment. which will make things a lot easier.
  • Horlock
    Horlock Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    All my wollwich accounts show up with the sort codes on on-line banking, but we have an offset so that may be a difference.

Have you checked what you can do with the mortgage linked current account you have, you might be able to set up a mini offset arrangment. which will make things a lot easier.

Hum, interesting, and thanks for rapid response.

I don't know why my mortgage doesn't show up then. It is a tracker mortgage not an offset, I do have a loan facility linked to the mortgage (which I obviously haven't used because the rate is rediculous) which does show up, but the mortgage itself doesn't.

I don't want to change my mortgage, because it is an exceptional deal. In fact I wouldn't be able to borrow enough on a new mortgage anyway. I couldn't get a remortgage - my income is less than a quarter of what it was when I took out the mortgage - (yet the irony continues that now I want to make a lump sum deposit!)
    There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!
  • Hi Horlock

I'm in the process of remortgaging to the Woolwich at present, so I am interested in your post.

I was with the Woolwich several years ago and my local branch gave me the sort code and account number that I could use online to make overpayments. I do not bank with Barclays so I am not familiar with then online banking set up.

I did read on this board recently though that unless you have an offset mortgage, your mortgage balance does not show up online which is a pity.

Unfortunately the Woolwich branches have now been closed, and the call centre moved to India. I have a friend who works for Barclays and she says that they do not have access to Woolwich mortgages.

Not a lot of help to you probably, but as I say I have been wondering how other folk arrange their overpayments.

Foreversummer
  • Horlock - I also have a woolwich/barclays mortgage. The first two digits in your mortgage account number are the last two in the sort code. So, your "96" in 96etc is, I believe, 10-80-96. The rest of the digits are the account number. There are several woolwich sortcodes that are used for mortgage accounts, e.g. 10-80-95, 10-80-96 etc

I suggest you check this info before you transfer any £ ! It has worked for me, and I did phone the bank last time I did a transfer (Aug 2007) just to make sure it reached by mortgage acccount... I was also told at the time that they don't like to accept one-off payments in this way of less than £500. Hope this helps.
  • The sort code has changed so please do not use advise above.

The details are 23-88-first two digits of your mortgage account number which starts with a 9.

Account number is rest of the mortgage account number.

This will credit as a payment on the account but will not affect your billing. If you want it to be credited as a part redemption, you need to call up 0845 605 1111 (there is a new freephone no but can't remember) and they will convert to part redemption and payment will reduce.

Only offset mortgage custoemrs can see their mortgage online unfortunately.
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • Chivers details above are correct, and the 23-88-xx sort code should be used at all times. Barclays took over Woolwich a couple of years ago and are in the process of changing sort codes. For the avoidance of doubt only:- I recently (2 weeks ago) paid in several £k using the woolwich sort codes above, successfully received in my mortgage account. However, I have recived a letter from Woolwich/Barclays saying that >no< payments will be accepted using the old sort codes with effect from 3rd Nov 2008. Also quotes the freephone tel# on the letter; 0800 022 4022 9-5 Mon-Fri, and 9-1pm Sat.
  • john3:16
    john3:16 Posts: 28 Forumite
    I have a similar question on Woolwich Mortgage (not an Offset). If I overpay (e.g. 100 per month) what would I need to do if I wanted to take some of that Overpayment back out to spend?

Also, there is a "Reserve" next to my account. They stated that this only updates in multiples of £2000. Which I think means until I overpay by £2000 I won't see my overpayments???

Gerry
  • chivers1977
    chivers1977 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    Also, there is a "Reserve" next to my account. They stated that this only updates in multiples of £2000. Which I think means until I overpay by £2000 I won't see my overpayments???

You are right in thinking that unless you already have a reserve limit set, you won't be able to draw against the overpayments until the mortgage balance is reduced by £2000. However if you are on repayment, the mortgage balance will be reduced by the payment towards the capital that is made each month.

The overpayments reduce the interest that is charged from the day that it is cleared
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • I don't think you can get back the overpayments - check the Ts&Cs for your mortgage.

My 'Reserve' is an additional borrowing facility, nothing to do with overpayments I make.

I pay Woolwich by standing order, using the 23-88-xx sort code, instead of by direct debit. Their customer service is AWFUL, but the rate I have is good so I can't bring myself to remortgage.
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • Has anyone received their Annual Mortgage Statement. I have a mortgage with the Woolwich and was under the impression that they send out the annual statement to all their mortgage customers on the 30th September every year. But I still haven't received anything????? I've over paid this year and expect my payments to be reduced and would like to budget for this month more accurately.

Also, is there anyway of seeing my mortgage balance online? It would be great if there was some way of keeping track of how the mortgage is going other than waiting for a yearly statement?! I would like to see how my overpayments are reducing my balance, it would motivate me no end.

Thanks all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport