PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    HELP

does anyone know how I can clean my pan that I burnt,, I have it in soak but it doesnt look good

Its my new pan ,, I have only had it three weeks

KAAT

Put some bicarb in it and scrub it with a cloth.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • Brought lunch to work today, woohoo! I only spent 20p on a banana (really good fruit shop near work).

:j
    March 2020 grocery challenge $921.76/$500AU
    April 2020 grocery challenge $744/$800
    May 2020 GC $724.11/$750
    June 2020 GC $370.31/$700
    July 2020 GC $316.87/$700
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I forget who asked but yes, corriander freezes very well. I always kill the plants you buy from the supermarket so as soon as I buy one I snip all the corriander with scissors and freeze it in a plastic box. It sprinkles out easily when you need to use it. I used the last of what I had today then my Dad came in and said he had loads growing at home, excellent as that will save me a little money.

Today I did HM bean burgers for tomorrow night plus two portions of the mix to freeze (I make them into burgers shapes when I defrost the mix).

I then made Cranks vegetable crumble for dinner which was lovely.

After that I made Twinks Hobnobs with half the sugar but a few raisins. I'm not into raisins but the children love them. The hobnobs were far nicer than the original recipe that I made last week IMO.

My Morrisons shop was only £35.19 but I only meal planned for three days worth of evening meals. I picked up a couple of extra bits for meals next week. I was quite pleased with Morrisons offers such as BOGOF Irish Cheddar, BOGOF tinned chickpeas/kidney beans and BOGOF Branston soya beans or chickpeas in a sauce (for DH work lunch). Country Life butter was 2 for £1.50 which is a good saving. I find that butter is always dearer as I buy unsalted. I also got the salad potatoes for 50p that someone else mentioned.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    chelltune wrote: »
    I forget who asked but yes, corriander freezes very well. I always kill the plants you buy from the supermarket so as soon as I buy one I snip all the corriander with scissors and freeze it in a plastic box. It sprinkles out easily when you need to use it. I used the last of what I had today then my Dad came in and said he had loads growing at home, excellent as that will save me a little money.
    Chell this used to happen to me to until I realised that it was not me, it was that the pot was too small and plant suffered. You can re-pot into a bigger pot with more compost and voila healthy plant again. Snip every so often and freeze if not needed :D
    Good luck with the c-section :) I had one with DS last year but as he is my first it was not too bad recovering (although combined with bf'ing I was knackered- sounds like you are organised with food though ;) )
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all

Seem to be a bit over budget already & it's only the 4th!! However, today's tea was homemade soup, using up some veg, dried lentils, etc, only had to buy bread, then apple & blackberry crumble for pud - first brambles of the season! Also made some buns, half in freezer for later in the week when last of biccies gone.

Biggest problem is DS (16) who loves his meat - hard to convince him that there are other forms of protein - any ideas gratefully received!

Bargains today - 3 pkts cow biscuits for £1, 2 tins new Heinz sp. hoops with veg for £1 & jar Brazilian Nescafe for £1 - shopping in £ shops is new to me so well impressed!...sorry, don't get out much!:D Also found cheaper bread in local baker's - they sell off yesterday's/Saturday's 1/2 price for toast - what a bargain!

Hoping tomatoes continue to grow - should be enough for 3 or 4 salads, plus some scraggy ones to cook with. Going to try spuds & onios next year - anyone know when I should be planting?

Anna x
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Bargains today - 3 pkts cow biscuits for £1

cheapskate
    What are cow biscuits??

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mmmm... cow biscuits
    or Malted Milk biscuits if you're too grown up!!
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    th_goodnight-3.jpg goodnight all
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Hello,
    Just updating my signature.
    Did a big shop at Mr T today (had run out of everything in freezer thanks to this website and cooking what we had rather than buying!). New total for this month £85.
    August Grocery Challenge £98.47/£200 :j
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    May I ask, what is 'Pin Money'? I have seen it on a few sigs now :rolleyes:
    thanks

Pin Money is the money I save when I have BOGOFS or reductions in the supermarket. I only buy these bargains if I am willing and able to put the equivalent cash saved into my Pin Money purse. At the end of each month I transfer the savings into my cash ISA. The amount I have saved is quite high at the moment as I have used the £15 off Waitrose deliver (twice) and had a voucher off a case of wine! HTH

Moniker

PS there used to be a separate PMS challenge thread but it seems to have died out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure