Dogs and Flats - Bad idea ?

Ok,

Currently I live in a house in suburbia - being a singleton for the time being I'm selling this place and looking for a fresh start somewhere more central. I've been indulging in a bit of house hunting !!!!!! and keep being drawn to some really nice appartments by the river BUT I have a gorgeous 8 year old yorkie.

Does anyone live in a flat or appartment and have a dog ? Is it possible to do this ? At the moment I work full time (and no I don't need a lecture on this - she is well looked after and has a dog flap into the garden) and just exploring the options.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hayley
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• mookiandco
    mookiandco Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    Small dogs and flats can work but if your dog is used to alot of space and freedom, it might take some getting used to. When we lived in a flat, our first few chihuahuas were brought up there. They were litter trained and went for walks in the park a few times a day. They didnt need much space and and it was fine.

It depends on the personality of your dog as to whether he can yet used to it. My yorkie started slowing down in his later years so was quite happy in a flat and liked his creature comforts.

The difficulty will be leaving him at home whilst you work. If you can get someone to take him out during the day then that would be better.
    Proud Mummy to Leila aged 1 whole year:j
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    I agree, it may be more difficult if your dog is used to going in and out as she pleases while you are at work.

I think they either get used to waiting for a walk to do their toilets (sorry, couldn't think of a better expression without being rude! lol), or going as the urge takes them if they have constant access to a garden, and your dog may be more used to the latter.

I don't think that means it isn't possible though - just that you'd perhaps have to spend some time getting her used to it - maybe ration the dog flap and gradually wean her off it?

Assuming you would walk her at least morning and evening, I can't see she would suffer from lack of exercise or fresh air.

If you work very long hours, perhaps it's worth seeing if there are any dog walkers nearby who could take her out midday?

Hth

Bestpud
  • Lyndsay_21
    Lyndsay_21 Posts: 816 Forumite
    could you not get a ground floor flat with a garden which will solve the problem???
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • ukbadger_2
    ukbadger_2 Posts: 143 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies - I have been looking for a garden flat but they're pretty thin on the ground round here. I've got plenty of time to debate I just wondered what you guys thought , your advice is always great.

Hx
  • poe.tuesday
    poe.tuesday Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    A loving home in a flat IMO is better than no home
  • hayleyc_2
    hayleyc_2 Posts: 220 Forumite
    I have a dog and lived in a flat with no garden for about 6 months. My dog was fine, but as a long-term plan I wouldn't have carried on without having a dog walker to take him out during the day. Many dogs that live in flats end up getting more walks than those with gardens because people have to put in the extra effort rather than just letting them out in to the garden.

As your dog is used to having constant access to the garden during the day, I would worry that he/she may find it unsettling and distressing to have to go 8hrs without going to the toilet. In that situation, I would definitely get a dog walker or arrange to come home at lunch time. There's no reason your dog can't live in a flat as long as you're prepared to make the extra effort to take it out often enough.

Hayley
  • Imelda
    Imelda Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Also remember that many leashold flats do not allow pets, be sure to check before you buy.
    Saving for an early retirement!
  • katiesmummy
    katiesmummy Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    i have 2 dogs, a jack russell & a rotweiler cross & i now live in a flat. when i got the dogs i lived in a house but had to move when the council found me a permenant home. i have to say it is very hard work & had i always lived here i would never have got my dogs. i wouldnt reccommend it if you are out all day at work, as you will probably come home & find some little presents around the house. my dogs are never left alone for more than a couple of hours. i am so attached to my dogs and i would never get rid of them, but i do have to spend about 4 hours a day walking them. i would say at the very least get a flat with a balcony so you can let the dog out as soon as you get up, and then you wash it down every couple of days. also, put newspaper down in the kitchen when you go to bed in case he gets desperate for a wee in the night.

i hope that i am making sense! pm me if you want any more info :)
    2011- new year, new start.

January 2011 g/c- £150
  • Bun
    Bun Posts: 872 Forumite
    I have lived in several flats, and my main concern would be noise. Your dog will hear noises all the time that it is not used to (doors, people in corridors etc, unless it is a house converted into only two flats as mine is for instance) and you will really run into trouble if your dog is the yapping sort. Most leasehold flats have restrictions on dogs for this reason. Only you know your dog, but personally (based on my experience of terriers in my family) I really wouldn't recommend it.
    Annabeth Charlotte arrived on 7th February 2008, 2.5 weeks early :D
  • Hi I live in a London and we have a Little terrier. We currently rent a flat and have a garden, no dog flap but then i work from home and when i don't my dog goes to a lady who does local doggie day care (£12 per day v cheap here!). I wouldn't dream of leaving her at home all day, dogs need stimulation and company they are pack animals.
    Get a flat with a garden, some flats have rules (particularly if in blocks) that no dogs are allowed. Also if renting beware of lazy lettings agents who tend to show you really grotty things which are still expensive if you have a dog, don't stand for this, look long and hard and i promise you something always comes up! Tell them you have references for your dog from places it has lived, friends/ carers etc...It's normally necessary to pay up to 6 weeks damages deposit too with a dog :(. Always make sure you have it in writing that you can have a dog on the premises, if you rent or buy and then find it's "no dogs allowed" out they'll expect you and you're pal to part company boo hoo. Good luck garden flat living with dogs is perfect!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure