The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

"Damaged" passport - define "Damaged"

Hi All

I really am in the dark with this and am hoping someone can help. My current passport still has 5 years to run, however it went through the wash recently and I am worried it may be considered "damaged". If anyone has any experience of this could you tell me if my passport sounds damaged and should I get a new one?

1) The gold emblem on the front is completely faded
2) The pages are wrinkled and all the stamps are faded and smudged

However

The photo page with all my details on is completely fine

Many thanks
Adam

Comments

• Katykat
    Katykat Posts: 1,743
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think it depends on where you are going. eg; they rarely even check your passport if you travel to Europe and back, but I wouldn't try getting into USA with it. Would the passport website have any clarification on it? if not, phone them, and ask if there is a charge for replacing it. You might have to pay an admin charge, but you shouldn't have to pay full whack- or am I living in a dream world?
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would say it needs replacing. Some passport controls scan them now and this may not work now it's been in the wash. Renew it now before they charge goes up.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Barcode
    Barcode Posts: 4,551 Forumite
    It does not matter about the front cover. The lettering on mine faded about two years ago and I've made countless trips since then. It is the DATA PAGE that is the crucial thing. The issue is not damage per se, but whether it looks like it could have been tampered with.

As long as it is machine readable, with the other details legible, and the laminate is still covering the photo, you should be fine. But without seeing it, it's hard to tell.

Where is your next trip? If it's somewhere long-haul, I would not be inclined to risk it due to the expense incurred if it is rejected at immigration. Especially America, where border controls are becoming very, very strict.

My advice: You will PROBABLY be o.k. But for peace of mind, you should renew it. If you need to do it quick, you can get an appointment in two weeks for a same day or one week service.

Mine has started peeling at the corners, it's also a bit creased. Never had any problems. I bought one of those clear, perspex passport covers and most immigration officers don't even need to remove it to scan (but it can be if they need to inspect it further). That's an inexpensive solution you might want to consider if the data page is fine.
    'We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. '
    -- T. S. Eliot
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    I would renew it to be on the safe side - there would be nothing worse than thinking its okay, getting to the airport only to be told you cant fly!

Besides get the renewal in before the price hike in October
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    & if you renew it, it'll be good for another 10 years (rather than the 5 that it has/may have left)

MTC HissyClaw.gifMTCEnglish.gif
  • UnitedFlyer
    UnitedFlyer Posts: 156 Forumite
    My passport ended up going through a "wash" - well more like a tropical rainstorm in Tahiti.
    Everything got smudged/faded, and the back page is blue now!
    However, the machine can still read the numbers at the bottom no problem, and I've been to USA no end of times with it like this, no one even asks about it.
  • TheAble
    TheAble Posts: 1,594
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thnaks so much for all the replies guys, much appreciated. The data page is absolutely pristine so I'm guessing I may be ok. And I'm only going to Faro so that's another positive.

Thanks to Barcode for the perspex cover suggestion, that sounds good to me.

Adam
  • jammybunn
    jammybunn Posts: 64 Forumite
    think i can help here since i deal with them everyday, if its been through the wash- its damaged, full stop... every page is a security feature and if the pages look faded and the edges are "wavey" then its damaged and you need to replace it... if anyone has any questions regarding passports please feel free to pm me and ill get back to you asap
  • barron_2
    barron_2 Posts: 460 Forumite
    Hi,
    Renew it, alot of my clients do it at the P.O.
    7-10 day turnaround,costs a bit more,but at least you know the p/works done properly.
    Happy Hols

ps Im not bothered,but others like the thank button !!
  • jammybunn
    jammybunn Posts: 64 Forumite
    barron wrote:
    Hi,
    Renew it, alot of my clients do it at the P.O.
    7-10 day turnaround,costs a bit more,but at least you know the p/works done properly.
    Happy Hols

stop right there, the post office is not the way to go, they charge you just to check you have filled in the right sections and got the right documents- they cant examine it and they cant guarantee that 7-10 day t/round... that is a target turnaround time. and believe me- its gettin busy at the mo, im booked in for a few days overtime. if you are looking at posting, then dont waste money with post office, just post it, but ensure you have 3/4 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure