McDonalds' no receipt

I went to a McDonalds' restaurant a few weeks back and paid by a debit card. They didn't give me a receipt even though I paid with a debit card. I assumed they would give me a receipt because so far all the shops (not stalls) I've visited gave me a receipt. I found McDonalds the only exception. As far as I'm aware of they aren't legally obliged to provide receipts for customers. But since they are the odd one out, the staff serving me should have asked whether I would like one.

Anyway, my question is, "Are they obliged to provide a receipt if a customer pays by a debit/credit card?"

Comments

• halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I believe they should supply you with a receipt of the card transaction, but not one of the purchase itself. It is not a legal requirement to give a general receipt, but I'm not sure of the requirements of a card receipt. They are not the same thing.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • No.........
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Receipts are not required to be given by law.

You will technically already have proof of purchase (should you require it) via your bank. Alternatively if you need the receipt, you can always ask them for it (and many people do this for meals/fuel in order to claim expenses).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I don't think mcdonalds ever give receipts. Bk do, in fact there used to be a rule that if bk didn't give you a receipt then you could ask for the meal for free.
    I may be wrong but I dont think there is any legal thing that says they have to give you a receipt?
  • halibut2209
    Forumite
    Out of interest, are they required by law to give a receipt if requested. And is the general receipt you get different from the card transaction receipt you get?
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • Out of interest, are they required by law to give a receipt if requested. And is the general receipt you get different from the card transaction receipt you get?

Yes, ....and how do you know the general receipt (which you don't get) is different from the card transaction receipt which you also don't get?
  • Receipts are not required to be given by law.

You will technically already have proof of purchase (should you require it) via your bank. Alternatively if you need the receipt, you can always ask them for it (and many people do this for meals/fuel in order to claim expenses).

Thanks. That's what I thought. But what if they gave me the wrong order? I mean they punched in the right order with the cash-machine but accidentally served me a wrong sandwich. I would have to wait 3 days for it to see in the statement.
  • halibut2209
    Forumite
    Again, read the thread.

I didn't say it was different. I asked if it was different. A big difference. The reason I ask is because a lot of places give you two receipts if you use a card. One for the purchase, and one for the card transaction.
  • Again, read the thread.

I didn't say it was different. I asked if it was different. A big difference. The reason I ask is because a lot of places give you two receipts if you use a card. One for the purchase, and one for the card transaction.

Read the thread...they don't give receipts.
  • Out of interest, are they required by law to give a receipt if requested. And is the general receipt you get different from the card transaction receipt you get?

I think the card receipt just says the total payment (may also include the last digits of my card number). But the general receipt has a format similar to a itemised bill. I'm not 100% sure on this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure