What can I do about a bad sickness record?

I would like to get another job and move back to my home area but I am worried about my sickness record.

I have been off work since May with work related stress and depression after an incidence with my boss. I have not made a complaint about the incident but have agreed to have mediation which should have happened by now but has been getting cancelled for various reasons.

After long talks with friends and family I have decided that I would like to move back to my home area (where I live is where my ex husband is from) and I am looking for jobs as my doctor say that once the mediation happens he thinks I would be able to cope with being back at work in some capacity.

What can I do or say to make my situation any better when looking for a new job? I have basically been a civil servant or local government employee for the last 30 years so I have no experience of job hunting anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    If you are currently a Civil Servant or local government worker, can you not look for internal vacancies and try for a transfer?
  • Very sensible advice from oldernotwiser, now is not a good time to be jobseeking, especially with a poor sickness record.

A transfer would be tremendous. Looking for work without success may add to your current difficulties rather than being the fresh start you are looking for.

If you do decide to make the move and can't transfer, you need to be open, honest and positive about your sickness record (ie it was caused by an incident and is all behind you). Temping is the best way to put clear water between you and your past, as you can build a credible track record quickly.

Good luck whatever route you take to your future!
    "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" (Sir Winston Churchill)
  • Arne_2
    Arne_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    I now work for a small Government Agency (still at the same place as when I was a Civil Servant) and they don't have any offices near there so I cant try for internal transfer.

Initially I am hoping to get a temporary contract just so that I can move as that seems to be the best way to obtain knowledge and experience that will stand me in good stead for future permanent jobs. It is a tourist area and I am willing to do anything reasonable, (cleaning, shelf stacking etc.) I wouldn't apply for a cooking job for example as I have no experience in catering for numbers.
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    The best thing you can do about a poor sickness record is to stop it.

Have a good period of attendance (most people ask for sickness records for 3 years) and the bad attendance will fall off.

3 years is a long time though and perhaps not what you wanted to hear, in that case follow oldernotwisers advice.

Bozo
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Arne wrote: »
    I now work for a small Government Agency (still at the same place as when I was a Civil Servant) and they don't have any offices near there so I cant try for internal transfer.

Initially I am hoping to get a temporary contract just so that I can move as that seems to be the best way to obtain knowledge and experience that will stand me in good stead for future permanent jobs. It is a tourist area and I am willing to do anything reasonable, (cleaning, shelf stacking etc.) I wouldn't apply for a cooking job for example as I have no experience in catering for numbers.

Instead of transferring to a civil service job in the same field - transfer to another field altogether. With regard to your sickness - you need to address that, why haven't you bothered submitting a complaint? Why haven't the civil service offered you some occupational health help e.g. phased return to work etc? You can find other civil service jobs by looking at the Civil Service Gateway.

To be off since May is a long time and basically you need to get back to work pronto and stay in work so that you can demonstrate that you can hold down a job without going off sick. Sorry if this sounds harsh.
  • Arne_2
    I didnt submit a complaint at the time because I didnt follow proper proceedures as I was so distressed I couldnt talk to a stranger. My bosses line manager had left and hadnt been replaced at that time, his previous boss (when we were part of another section) had been made redundant so I couldnt go and talk to him either. The person who was trying to act as his line manager was already dealing with 3 divisions apart from her own plus I had never met her and she left within a month of me being signed off. The HR Director was informed within a week what had happened but it took HR until September to get me an appointment with the Occupational Health Doctor who agreed that it was work related stress.
    After that I have been attending regualar meetings with my bosses new line manager, an HR person, and my unison rep where we agreed that this was a one off incident and that independant mediation would be organised for us both.

After the mediation they will then put in a phased return to work for me to return to my old job.

I have been asking if I could come back and work in another work area for a time to build up my confidence again but I keep getting told that they want me back at my own desk doing my own job. Other people in other sections have told me that they have asked for help for some basic projects and mentioned my name but that they also get told no.

Horace, your comments do sound harsh, they may be fair but until then I had had a good sickness record and I was reasonably well regarded at my work. I never thought to be in this position but thank you all for your comments.
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    If you think Horace was harsh this is going to sound harsher.....

The public sector has the luxury of exercising these kinds of policies. The private sector hasn't. I'm always concerned when I'm hiring someone from the public sector about their expectations, which are always way higher than private sector can offer. We don't "do" occupational health, phased return to work, allowances to build up confidence etc. If I had someone off for three months (never mind nine) then I would be looking to terminate them on grounds of incapacity. If someone can't manage working relationships, and the result is 9 months sick leave, then that is a concern.

Right now, it's a difficult market for recruitment. I'm only going to hire safe bets who I think will work out for my organisation. That means minimising all risks, and a poor attendance record is a HUGE risk.

As ONW says, stay in the public sector and transfer, or as Liz says temp for a while. If you temp you lose not only your protected employee rights as a civil servant, but also a lot of ordinary employee rights.

I think you have to take control of this situation, and stop expecting your employer to solve it for you. Find the solution, and make it work.
  • Arne_2
    Thank you for your comments about the seriousness of my situation. I knew it was bad but I didnt realise how bad or that my options were so few. No one would take me on as a temp as I have no special skills and as I am not a civil servant anymore due to the status of the Agency I cant transfer.
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Arne,

I, too, had a period of time off work due to my boss and his attitude to his staff and eventually was 'released' on incapacity grounds.

Try the NHS, they seem to be understanding about time off for sickness.

There are loads of jobs within a variety of areas that you should be able to do. Register on this link for daily jobs email: https://www.jobs.nhs.uk.

Good luck and things will come right for you.
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • mumoftwins wrote: »
    Arne,

I, too, had a period of time off work due to my boss and his attitude to his staff and eventually was 'released' on incapacity grounds.

Try the NHS, they seem to be understanding about time off for sickness.

There are loads of jobs within a variety of areas that you should be able to do. Register on this link for daily jobs email: www.jobs.nhs.uk.

Good luck and things will come right for you.

Public sector is probably your best bet
    |Credit Card Debt Free|I'll bring you flowers in the pouring rain|
    :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills