We Are Decking the Halls with NSDs December Challenge

Comments

• poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    As I didn't keep track last month I am going to aim for 15 NSDs this month and will try to check in with you all every day. I need to be kept on the straight and narrow.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    2ym65q8.gif

Hi lovely NSD gang:A
    As you can see there is lots of activity on this challenge at the moment and it's difficult sometimes to see how many NSDs you're all declaring on posts.
    Could I ask you to highlight your number of NSDs in a colour and in bold so that I can see them easily when I whizz through the posts - red would be best but I don't really mind as long as I can see the numbers easily.

Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time Nsders so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots SIZE=2]Weds mornings[/SIZE in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker SIZE=2]Friday lunch[/SIZE in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & Spoon usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • focus888
    focus888 Posts: 1,483
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi All,

somehow managed to get 4 NSD without expecting to in November, so going to now try and double that and more to 10 NSD for December. Think that will be hard for me but still going to attempt it! :D
  • Hi in conjunction with the DDD challenge i would like to pledge 20 NSD in December.
  • Afternoon :)
    Can I put myself down for 15 NSD with 4-in-a-row :)
    Thankies
    Xx
    Weight loss 0/37lb :(Vanquis £1476 Capital One £380
    Nov 2012 NSD 15/15 Dec 2012 NSD 14/15 5 in a row SPC #1874 Overdraft £800
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

This is my first time on this challenge so, although it may be a bit ambitious for a first timer especially at this time of year, but I'd like to go for 12 NSDs this month and 3 in a row! :eek:
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • Hi Everyone!!!

Am also signing up to Kat's DDD and so am pledging for December:

20 NSD + 7 in a row

Good luck everyone!!!
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Right, after taking Nov off, I had better hop back on that NSD wagon me thinks :o

I'm going to go for 12 NSD in Dec - I'm not 100% sure how obtainable 14 would be (although this is a challenge :o) and I don't want to target 13 :o

Updated Dec rules for what isn't included:
    • Bill payments (already budgeted for)
    • Boot Camp
    • Milk (essential)
    • Petrol (can't put milk in the car)
    • Xmas gifts (for others not myself :D) as I use vouchers / discounts etc where possible
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• As always, thanks to all the wonderful updates of the thread - Freeby, BDINI, Spoon, Marmite .... (lordy, who've I forgotten:o) - you are all :A:A and we couldn't do it without you.

Thank you!

I can't believe it's December already...

Can I have 20 please as my target?Thanks.

Thanks freeby for all your hard work.Great prizes this month!
  • Can I sign up for 10 again please?
    BC: £2000/£3800 S Loan 1: £4973.37/£7000 S Loan 2: £6884.13/£9000 Next:[STRIKE] £0/£280 [/STRIKE]OD: [STRIKE]£0/£500[/STRIKE]
    Student OD: [STRIKE]£0/£2000[/STRIKE] Partner OD:[STRIKE]£0/£600[/STRIKE]Joint OD:[STRIKE]£0/£950[/STRIKE] Car: £9424/£9901 Mort: £77000/£79000
    Total Debt exc mort£23281.15/£34,031 31% paid off
    POAMAYC2013 £694.99/£10000 target £14112.50
    NSDS NOV10/10 DEC 10/10 JAN9/10 no.of debts [STRIKE]9[/STRIKE] 4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills