How do I get a PO Box address?

Comments

• marybishop
    marybishop Posts: 761 Forumite
    You can request that Royal Mail do not give out your details to Joe Public but you have to have a letter from the police giving the reason why your address has to be kept secret. It will still be given out to statutory bodies.

Limited companies are not allowed to have a PO Box number as their registered address.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Caca wrote: »
    The reason that I would want to *hide* behind a PO Box address is that I want to write to prisoners who other wise receive no mail. Some of the prisoners have committed violent crimes. I wouldn't be happy at the idea that they could simply ask for my address and then come and find where I live.
    For this reason I would appreciate TOTAL privacy
    But surely you're doing that through an intermediary, perhaps a charity, and they will have means of protecting your privacy? :confused:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • hummy
    hummy Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rather than getting an actual PO Box address you might want to look into getting a virtual mailbox, which would overcome the issue of the PO Box address as it looks like a proper address. For example, i rent a mailbox at my local Mailboxes Etc shop and i simply incorporate the box no as a unit no...so box 25 become Unit 25, 42 High Street.....etc etc...

Looks like a private address, hides your real address and i just pop into the store (which does also provide 24 hour access) and take my mail from the box when there is any.

I've used it quite a lot and works a treat.
  • martyw
    martyw Posts: 36 Forumite
    The main problem I found with a Royal Mail PO Box was that it is very much tied to the delivery region of the sorting office. I moved home - a few hundred metres - but it put me over an invisible boundary and when I advised Royal Mail of the change of home address they promptly cancelled my box, and insisted I could only apply for a new one at a different sorting office a couple of miles away! I went to MBE instead.
  • Hi

I run a web business and list my home address, but I was advised to get a P.O BOX number, as my website lists stock levels and thieves could see where I lived and exactly how much stock I had at the address!

I have not got one as yet, but I could see their point
  • Tea3
    Tea3 Posts: 460 Forumite
    Ages ago I asked Trading Standards to look over my website terms and conditions etc to check I was complying fully legally with DSR etc (paranoid little person I am lol), at the time I did not have a PO box but had mentioned it to Trading Standards that I was thinking of getting one and they said it was a big no-no. Apparently you have to have a full and complete contact address on your website if you are taking money in advance for goods i.e. customers order and pay online or orders and send you a cheque etc, and that a po box was not acceptable as it puts buyers at risk of fraud etc and does not give a geographical address to the buyer.

Found this on another website which may help:
    "The address you give on an e-commerce web site doesn't have to be an "official trading address"; it must be "the geographical address of the place of business of the supplier to which the consumer may address any complaints." If you wish to use (e.g.) a mailbox service, this will suffice. PO Boxes as supplied by Royal Mail aren't geographical addresses, but it does not have to be an address you actually trade from, merely one at which you will accept written complaints."

Also on a side note - if you are storing stock at home please check with your insurers that this is ok. Mines said a few years back that even if I did not want the stock insured, the very fact it was in the house meant my insurance was invalid and any claim for any reason could have been rejected. Better safe than sorry.
    Some People Live & Learn, Some People Just Live...
  • instead of using a PO Box for my company, i use a similar, but better service, through Mail Boxes Etc.

your company address could read something like

ABC Company
    Suite 123
    (Main City Road)
    (Major City)
    (Postcode)

it's more of a 'proper' address and they operate out of most main cities, so you get a prestigious address for your business. you can have the address as your registered office too.

they sign for parcels and you get 24hr access to your mail. really good and would well recommmend it for a small or bigger businesses wanting a quality address.
  • I personally am always suspicious of PO Boxes, and with Google Earth and Street View I can tell if a business is run from home / a small office or using one of those MailBox type companies. If they using a MailBox type company I will always ring and ask for the real address before risking any money.
    Also remember that when you have website your potential customers can see the address used when you purchased your domains.
    Just my opinion, but dont forget you cant hide from Google Maps anymore !! ;-)

Cheers

Andy
  • Hi all,

This is handy as I was just about to start up a 'mini' company, what do you think of this?:

I've just created a website that advertises my technical drawing services (New Build, Extensions, etc.) as well as surveying (building and site). I've nearly got the website completed and although I have a contact form, I would like to put a postal address on there too. Because I have no more equipment in my flat than an average home user would (in fact less as I don't have a TV!), I don't think there are security issues.

I also do computer assistance for a small group of customers, I'm doing a website for that too. I don't have 'that' much stock, just cables and really old PC testing towers really.

I just wonder what would look suitable for me (i.e. real address, post office, MBE, etc.), when you consider I go out and do my job, return home to do a bit more and then post it to the client/local authority THEN I get paid? So far as the computer side, I go out and do the job BEFORE i get paid.

All thoughts welcome on either.

I really like Astaroth's idea of say "Unit 1" instead of "Flat 1", although I'm not sure anyone would believe that I did my drawing work in a warehouse!

Cheers,
    Chris
    If someone is worth thanking - click on the 'Thanks' button on their response. It's just a nice thing to do :-)

Started debt at 17, stopped by 25 :-D ...I'm in debt again because of property :-/
  • instaunt
    instaunt Posts: 112 Forumite
    ukbill69 wrote: »
    PO box is good for shortening your address. With PO boxes they are great when you give your address out because all you need to give is.

PO BOX 10
    London
    EC1V 7RB

Insted of spelling to the customer over the phone

123 My Hard To Spell Street Name
    The Road Round The Corner
    London
    EC1V 7UH

A completely valid reason for having one and the reason I have mine. I live in Scotland where my house name, village, post town and county have all appeared in my house mail with spelling errors.
    I've been making animations for my daughter. Tell me what you think? Search for "Where are you Pickles?" and "Pickles and the Bully" on YouTube.

picklesadventures.com/animations/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport