PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Agricultural tie on property

Is there a legal way you can buy a house, with this clause, on it's purchase - not sure what you need to do?

The place we'v just seen has a paddock & stable block, so not looking to change it's use, just make use of the facility, that's already there!

Thanks in advance!

VB

Comments

• wecanhelpu
    wecanhelpu Posts: 630 Forumite
    I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Or what you are trying to do.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The agent states, the purchaser must be employed/related to someone within agriculture or forestry industries, for them to be able to buy the property.

VB
  • BTman
    BTman Posts: 354 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Register a company and grow some beans...
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    wecanhelpu wrote: »

I may have misunderstood, but both of those links give ways of "getting around" the agricultural tie - but they don't deny that they exist and that they can be enforced.

In our Parish, you can bet that if any agri-tie is breached, then someone will complain to the Enforcement Officer at the Local Planning Authority.

As indicated in both those links, if the tie has not been honoured for 10 years or more, one can apply for a Certificate of Lawful Use - essentially, the LPA acknowledges that the planning condition is no longer effective.

However, in addition to any planning condition, which would require the occupant (or spouse) to be mainly employed in agriculture/forestry in the Parish, there is also often a completely separate legal agreement (Section 52 Agreement). The removal of this is an entirely separate legal process, which might need to be completed, in addition to getting any Certificate of Lawful Use.

You should really get advice from your solicitor on this. If the current owners ARE employed mainly in agriculture, then you will be in breach of the planning condition if you buy and you are not employed in agriculture. You will then need to occupy the property for 10 years - undetected - before you can apply for the Certificate of Lawful Use. In the meantime, you face possible detection and then enforcement action.

If the current owners have not complied with the condition for the past 10 years, it really begs the question why they have not applied for the Certificate :confused:

For more information put

agriculture section 52 agreement

or

agriculture occupancy condition planning

into Google.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Combo Breaker First Post
    BTman wrote: »
    Register a company

Not necessary :D
    and grow some beans...

Probably not sufficient.

The tie is usually phrased as ... "The occupation of the dwelling shall be limited to a person solely or mainly working, or last working, in the locality in agriculture or in forestry"

So growing beans "as a side line" would not be sufficient. One's occupation would be tested i.e. what you do to earn a living - not what you do as a hobby ;):D
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Combo Breaker First Post
    vansboy wrote: »
    Is there a legal way you can buy a house, with this clause, on it's purchase - not sure what you need to do?

The place we'v just seen has a paddock & stable block, so not looking to change it's use, just make use of the facility, that's already there!

How strange! It sounds as though this is Equestrian use which - believe it or not - is NOT agricultural. For planning use, agricultural is not the same as equestrian.

You need to get more details from the EA and then speak to the Local Planning Authority.

If your occupation is to be from legitimate use of the land, then you should be OK.

A word of warning though .... if the current owner has converted the use from agriculture to equestrian, then they would have needed a form a planning permission to change the use of the land. Did they get this? If not, how long has the land been equestrian? If 10 years or more, they should apply for a Certificate of Lawful Use so that the land is now re-classified as equestrian and the old agricultural tie is lifted.

You need more information from the EA in the first instance.
  • I am just about to by a bungalow and have been advised that it has a tie which restricts the ownership to people working in agriculture or forrestry.
    The present owner has lived there for 33 years and was unaware of the tie.
    He has nothing to do with agriculture or forrestry, the bungalow sits on 2 acres mainly laid to lawn.
    The property is 5 bedroom and valued in excess of 500K.
    My question is would I be able to apply to hve the tie lifted or is it the present owner who should apply for it.
    Does any one know how long the application takes.
    Any help appreciated.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Presumably if he lifts the tie the price will skyrocket. How could he not know?
    Been away for a while.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    monzaman - firstly, far easier for current owner to get restriction lifted. Secondly, was it your solicitor who advised you, as a few years ago I came across a case (slightly different circs) where owners believed ag restrictionin existence, but council had no record of this.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure