Halswell house

Comments

• I have to say I agree with 6ftunder.

We gave Halswell the benefit of the doubt for several months and the final straw came on Monday when we cancelled. We have not even had an acknowledgement of cancellation.

If you are still waiting on Halswell then I would suggest you ask them several questions which I've had at the back of my mind but again gave them the benefit of the doubt. Namely:

1. Why did they sack their previous organisers?

2. Whose bank account did my deposit go to because I understand from the administrators that Dunster Properties did not have a bank account.

3. Why is Graham Bond not cooperating with the administrators or taking an interest in the wedding business?

4. Why were HMRC taking steps to have Dunster Properties struck off before Citibank put them into administration.

5. Why, over 4 months after getting rid of Mark Cranfield Associates Ltd do they not have a new contract or employee to act for the wedding business?

6. Why is everything going through Nikie, who seems very nice, but is their catering contractor?

7. What was the role of Paul Tanswell and why has he left?

8. Why did they not inform all bookings as soon as they entered administration?

And a whole host of others that I don't have time to put down on paper at the moment. I think it's a shame that such a lovely venue has been let down by the people.

Best of luck everyone. My insurance claim has gone in today, and I am gutted that 7 months of planning is effectively down the drain as I have to look for a new venue at relatively short notice.
  • All of those questions from the above post are correct and justified for anyone to ask!

The company's that have been running Halswell House all of the Dunster Groups have indeed got BIG problems and on the Companies House Website or Companies in the UK website you can indeed see all the evidence for yourselves about Administration and Wind Up orders.

We had payed the full ammount for our Wedding with Halswell and as previously said thankfully with the help of Jack Jones of Moorfields Administration dept we got the whole lot payed back so there is light at the end of the tunnel if you have insurance!

I noticed that it hit the press this week and featured in the Bridgwater Mercury but it was a very low key, yet large story about mysterious goings on and problems at Halswell House.

I know our situation has been sorted now thanks to Brympton House near Yeovil this wonderful venue is a similar set up to Halswell House but far more professional in it's dealings with us than Halswell ever were.

Be aware that if you have given notice at the Registrars you will have to go through this and pay again if you change your venue.

i am still very angry and upset with Halswell even though we are sorted because we were in a contract with them for 2 years and they never once had the courtesy to be honest with us, even though they had £15k of our money and in the end we were made to feel like an inconvenience and trouble makers..... quite frankly we have only just started and plan to sprad the word so that innocent people get the treatment they deserve!:A
  • If any of you need help with a new venue and caterer, I can help.
  • I'm just looking into cancelling my wedding at Halswell, was getting your money back from your insurers a big process? What did you need to get it back? X
  • fubar4164
    fubar4164 Posts: 98 Forumite
    I've not yet got my money back. Had to send them all contracts and bank statements etc to support my claim. They also contacted my suppliers (e.g. Photographer) to confirm my claim.

Best of luck.
  • I have my contract, bank statements also have information to back up that they are in administration. How come they wanted to contact you photographer? Shall I include a suppliers contact when I send mine?

Thanks
  • fubar4164
    fubar4164 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Hi guys,

Just an update, got a full refund from the insurance company today! Best of luck to everyone else.
  • NSSD
    NSSD Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have no idea who you are but I am tired of reading postings on this forum that are untrue.
    I have not spoken to anyone on the phone recently nor would I be evasive, cut anyone short or ask for money! That is not my job.
    All weddings that have been booked at Halswell to date have taken place, thanks to me, and all the brides have been very happy.
    The rubbish in the carpark is due to flytipping and the council are sorting it out.
    The pictures have been taken down due to redecoration which is taking place.
    Please get your facts straight before you post slanderous messages on the internet.
  • In response to natmat and any other critics!

I got married at Halswell House on 29th December 2011 (please feel free to check this, my log on is my married name). It was the best day of my life and I am so glad that I did not get cold feet and cancel my wedding.

I choose Halswell House because I imagined my wedding to be amazing there, but please believe me, it exceeded my expectations. I was worried in the run up to the wedding, due to the situation of the change in managing agents, and rumours of the comapany going into administration and did consider cancelling.

The reason that I didn't cancel was because of Nikie at Stickydate, and the reason that my wedding was so perfect was also because of her. She put in so much time and effort and went above and beyond my (high) expectations of a wedding coordinator; yet that is not infact her job!!!

I went the bespoke route, which meant I simple paid for the venue hire and then paid for everything else seperately. Nikie was paid to only do my catering, and that I think you will find is the case for all of the weddings that are happening at Halswell House now. Nikie is, out of the kindness of her heart, and for the benefit of the brides (that she wants to do her best for), organising weddings for no financial gain. She is not being paid to do this job, she does not have to do it, and the only reason that she is there and still working so hard is to help people have their wedding days.

I find it an absolute joke for you to have said what you have about her, infact it is hard to believe you even know her, because if you did, your description would never have left your keyboard. I do not know Nikie personally, but because of her I had the most perfect wedding day, which my guests are still talking about, many of whom regularly say they have never been to a better, more organised and perfect wedding. It really was magical.

I would personally like to sincerely thank Nikie for her hard work, honesty, organisation and integrity, as she helped to make my dream wedding come true. Anyone who has her organising their weddings, is truly lucky.
  • oldrectory
    oldrectory Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 15 March 2012 at 9:12AM
    In response to the last two posts -

I feel I have to correct a couple of points you have raised - my wedding was cancelled as unless I signed a new contract I would have to pay all the monies I had already given to Halswell house again, something I decided not to do.

So when you get told that all the weddings are still going ahead - it's simply not true!

I was lucky as I managed to get my money back from my insurance company, as have some of the other couples on here. The insurance company would never pay out if there wasn't a problem and proof of administration provided. Conclusion - there are problems!

I have heard, and I could be wrong, that NSSD is owed a huge amount of money by Halswell and is therefore in her best interest to carry on - I believe Halswell have 6 months to repay her!

Facts:
    The website is down
    The phone is disconnected
    Dunster Properties is in administration
    Dunster Holdings is being compulsory wound up by the tax man
    Haslwell has been in the local papers regarding the administration
    This has been going on since last September - I was repeatedly told all was ok but it obviously not
    Staff have changed around 5 times

Personally, I cannot believe that people cannot see through all the problems Halswell are having.

It should be the best day of your life and not have any issues - Don't stick around to see what happens - get out now!

BeckyGibbs - your wedding went ahead only at the start of the problems and you were lucky - don't underestimate the problems others are experiencing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure