HELP! Have cut back all I can but am still over-spending!

Comments

• I dont download anything at all from swagbucks but there are loads o ways to earn.

Not sure how to do links but for anyone that might be interested, have a look at the thread called

Swagging in 2013 part one
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • chevalier wrote: »
    Just a quick question, ref losses at school by the kids, do they have to buy what they lose out of their pocket money? It cut down my stationary (read my two DS's stationary) cost alot when suddenly their pocket money had to go on 'boring' stuff like erasers and pens etc. I take it you have looked in school for the socks/lunch box?

Ref the trips to school, would your lowish income mean you would be entitled to help from the school with these trips?

And now the income. I noted that virtually every post looked at ways of cutting back but not at the other side of the coin ie the bringing in more money.

You mention that you are self employed. Are you able to claim any of the electricity/broadband costs back via the business? Also did you check with your buildings insurer and the deeds that you are ok to work from home? Sorry not really relevant I know, but it might make a difference to the premiums for the buildings insurance, if you run a business from home.

So the business, I take it that after all costs are paid out, that you are able to take a wage from it? If yes then is there any way of getting more work, eg via linkedin, or business link type organisations? Could you earn more money in house now in a company? I am guessing that you worked from home till now because of the kids?

For both of you their are loads of challenges on various forums on here to up your income. Some off the top of my head, are the present neutral challenge, where all presents/ xmas are funded not sources other than wages eg surveys sites, selling second hand stuff on ebay, making stuff for presents etc.

You could potentially both do surveys on line. Your OH would probably get more than you as they need males to make the quotas.

Then there are sites like swagbucks where you earn points which convert into vouchers.

Over time they do build up. And then there is competition entering. Not necessarily things you will use but to try and win things you can sell.. It is a bit time consuming, and maybe if you can raise the income from your business that would be a better use of your time, but if not then these other small revenue sources might be of help.

Cheers
    chev

ps you are getting the correct amount of benefits aren't you? Oh and don't forget about being able to get energy grants to improve insulation which might help with the bills too.

Hi Chev

Thanks for taking the time to make your suggestions. We eventually found the lunchbox thanks to the fact that it had her name on it. You are right though, I will make them buy anything they lose from now on out of their own pocket money. They usually do with stationary but I have forked out for lunchboxes, flasks, etc. Perhaps if they had to replace everything they lost themselves they'd be a bit more careful. Still, I remember being that age and no matter how careful I was, things did go missing. I seem to remember surviving without pocket money and having to get a paper round too.....

As for bringing in more money, that would be excellent. Unfortunately our wages are just over the threshold for any benefits of any kind. We get child tax credit but earn too much for working tax credit which would enable us to have subsidised school trips, free school meals, free prescriptions, etc.

We've done the loft insulation ourselves so that's all ok.

I work as a copywriter and I do find it really tough to get enough work in. This month I'll be around £150 short. That's just the way it goes. I have a Google+ profile, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter account and I regularly use them to try and make contacts. I also have my own website with a relevant blog - this last week I blogged about Matt Cutts and guest blogging and that was shared by a couple of people. Trouble is places like Google+ and LinkedIn are full of other copywriter all doing the same thing. There are discussions, groups and communities but all are frequented by bloggers and writers looking to get more work.

I've applied for copywriting work but even in this day and age they expect someone to work full-time in the office and I can't do that. Also most of the jobs are in London.

I've joined 2 agencies and they never seem to find me anything. So I keep plodding on hoping for a big break or a good contract along with thousands of other copywriters. I have been recommended on LinkedIn, I've got a good portfolio and my work is highly rated so I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Seems there is just too much competition out there. I might be better as a limited company or I might not.

I don't earn enough at the moment to pay tax but if I did then I could claim tax relief against electricity use, etc. At the moment though it's not relevant.

I do sell things occasionally on ebay, but most of our stuff is pre-owned so we might make a few pounds on unwanted or kids clothes but not enough to make a huge difference.

I will look at swagbucks and see what it's all about. I think I did register with a few surveys once but I never used to fit their criteria. Plus most of my time is spent on trying to raise my profile, get more clients, write the blog, do stuff for existing clients, etc. I find that I work full time for a part time wage, but luckily I have no overheads.

If I earned a steady £700 a month we would be comfortably off. That's my aim. :)

I don't think that wine glass is big enough either....... :rotfl:
    "Funny how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse, it does." - Marvin (Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)

DON'T PANIC
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Icecream boxes make cheap lunch boxes... it seems perfectly reasonable to me that the kids use their pocket money if they want something less basic.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,110
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My son loves disposable lunch boxes, he likes being able to dump the wrappings after he's eaten and not having to fetch home.:D
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I can't remember what the site was called but there was a site mentioned where you bid to write articles online? I am sorry I don't remember much more than that, but am pretty sure it was on the up your income part of the forum.

Why would being a ltd company get you more work?
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • chevalier wrote: »
    I can't remember what the site was called but there was a site mentioned where you bid to write articles online? I am sorry I don't remember much more than that, but am pretty sure it was on the up your income part of the forum.

Why would being a ltd company get you more work?
    chev

It's called People Per Hour and inevitably those who bid the lowest seem to win. There are sometimes up to 100 bids for one job. I used to look there at least twice and day and bid on the most relevant jobs but never got anywhere with it.

Being a Ltd company might make a difference as people see me now as a freelancer, but being a company would involve having a brand and that might invoke more trust from the client? Is it worth the hassle though?
    "Funny how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse, it does." - Marvin (Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)

DON'T PANIC
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If I earned a steady £700 a month we would be comfortably off. That's my aim.

And that, in a nutshell, is your problem.

Your income is insufficient to meet your outgoings, regardless of how much you reduce the outgoings. The job/occupation you have chosen has far more people wanting to work in it than it has jobs, reducing your income, as you're competing against the dreaded 'intern' who might be expected to work for free. Furthermore, you have imposed additional constraints on yourself such as not being able to work full time, or in London.

Unfortunately, my suggestion is therefore to look for something more stable and reliable, and do the copywriting during the evenings/weekends - more of a hobby you (might) get paid for than a regular source of income. Or at least a part time job.

Furthermore, I don't think incorporating a limited company will help - it's a expense you can't really afford, and people soon see past the "Limited" after your trading name, and realise it's still a one man band, regardless of legal status. Limited liability is only useful if the company gets into financial difficulties!

I'm sure the fluffy pink hugs brigade will accuse me of telling you to give up on your dreams - I'm not saying that, but I do think you need to postpone them until you're in better shape financially - if you've cut all you can cut, there's nowhere else to go.

All the best!
  • Yes well I have tried. Last year I applied for around 50 jobs that I knew I had the qualifications and experience to do. I heard back from 2 with rejections.

I even found myself cleaning at a B&B to make ends meet and just recently have sent her an email asking if she needs any more casual work. I hope to do a little more for her after Easter.

I know of copywriters who are very successful and get paid a lot, but they usually associated with companies. I do get regular work but it's low paid.

So what do I do? Become a full-time cleaner? I guess the options here are pretty limited and to make it worse, hubby has just confirmed that they intend, in the future, to close down the depot he works at. It might be a year from now, it might be a couple of months but he faces redundancy once again. :(

DON'T PANIC
  • Yes well I have tried. Last year I applied for around 50 jobs that I knew I had the qualifications and experience to do. I heard back from 2 with rejections.

I even found myself cleaning at a B&B to make ends meet and just recently have sent her an email asking if she needs any more casual work. I hope to do a little more for her after Easter.

I know of copywriters who are very successful and get paid a lot, but they usually associated with companies. I do get regular work but it's low paid.

So what do I do? Become a full-time cleaner? I guess the options here are pretty limited and to make it worse, hubby has just confirmed that they intend, in the future, to close down the depot he works at. It might be a year from now, it might be a couple of months but he faces redundancy once again. :(

If it brings the money in then yes, especially if your Husband maybe out of work for a bit.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • immie
    immie Posts: 239 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2013 at 7:38PM
    How about teaching assistant jobs in schools? Or temping/ office work:)
    Or home tutoring? (perhaps key stage 2/3 english?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure