PayPal UK Credit Card (Santander) closing

Hi there,
Not sure if anyone is interested but I've just had a letter from Santander informing me that "from 31st March 2012 Santander Cards Uk Limited will cease to be the card issuer for PayPal MasterCard and your card will no longer be accepted online or in store from this date."

Not particularly surprised that eBay/PayPal would have a short relationship with Santander given how cack handed their handling of the accounts has been.

However the letter also says "We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. PayPal will be in touch shortly to tell you about the new and exciting products that they will be launching."

I wondered if anyone here knew who the new card partner might be? Presumably not MBNA as they're trying to exit the UK market. I know the first (short lived) version of the UK PayPal MasterCard was from GE Capital but would be surprised if they went back to them having left them in favour of Santander.

Eddie

Comments

• GE Capital no longer operate in the UK; all the business was bought from Santander.

So if eBay/Paypal are launching a new card it will be through a partnership; which not many about now. Ikano Financial Services and Sygma/Creation/LaSer UK are the only two I can think of
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Same happened with the top-up card.

RBS pulled out and it was replaced with the Prepay Solutions access card. No doubt that will end at some point to.
  • Does anyone know if the points balance is updated on the card at the point the transaction is added or after the statement date. I have about 320 points at the moment so would like to round this up to 500 to get the Paypal voucher.
    "A nation of plenty so concerned with gain" - Isley Brothers - Harvest for the World
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    IME the points balance is updated within 24-hours of the transaction being charged to the account.

Scrounger
  • I am not too impressed either - Paypal seem to be silent on this one?
  • When I took out the PayPal/Santander card, I was supposed to get 2000 points credited to me, but this never happened.
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    chopper78 wrote: »
    When I took out the PayPal/Santander card, I was supposed to get 2000 points credited to me, but this never happened.
    Why don't you chase it up (Paypal MC CS: 0800 915 2252)?

I've had thousands of points from them (including the initial 2000). :beer:

Scrounger
  • Just has this in repsonse to an email I sent to Payapal

Dear Mark Wallace,

Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding your PayPal MasterCard, Mr. Wallace.
    I appreciate the time you've taken to contact me over this matter. I understand from your email that you wish to complain about the cancellation of your PayPal MasterCard.
    Santander, as the issuer and processor of these cards, has decided that they no longer wish to offer this service. As of yet, PayPal does not have a replacement lined up for this product.
    For further information on this matter, please contact Santander on [URL="tel:0871%20522%205000"]0871 522 5000[/URL].

Please let us know if you require any further assistance, Mr. Wallace; we'll be happy to help.

Yours sincerely,
    Gemma
    PayPal
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills