can you claim disability allowence and still work full time

Comments

• So......................if you get DLA you can't go out "clubbing"?

Oh yes you can go out clubbing but she actually told the DLA people that she could hardly walk.
  • interestingly the DLA application form requires no information relating to employment....
  • I work full time - and recieve DLA - HRM and LRC.
    I am only able to work because these benefits allow me to effectively 'buy support' which enable me to remain in employment. As I work I do not qualify for 'free' care from the local authority - or many of the grants etc that many who are not able to remain in work qualify for.
    I work because although my body doesn't work too well, most of the time my brain is OK, and I would fester if I didn't work. My DLA allows me to have an adapted car to get to work, and also contributes (a very small amount!) to pay for help within the home and with aspects of my personal care. This helps then means I can get through a working day without collapsing from exhaustion. Without DLA I couldn't afford this, and my family who already provide hours and hours of unpaid care would shoulder an additional burden, and also the tax payer - as I would have to be financially supported by benefits.
    Please don't judge people who claim these benefits - and work. these benefits are there for a reason.
    There used to be 2 benefits - disability living allowance - and disablity working allowance. they are now one and the same.
  • Oh - and yes - I also like to go out - and yes clubbing - I just wish I could still dance, but it doesn't mean I don'y enjoy the atmosphere. Should us disabled people stay at home being miserable all the time?
  • pascha wrote: »
    Should us disabled people stay at home being miserable all the time?
    Pascha - you won't be surprised at the number of people who are convinced that all disabled people are home 24 hrs a day.

I had my bathroom adapted by my local council 3 or 4 years ago - at that time I was working full time. Even the home aid co-ordinator couldn't take on board that I couldn't be available at the drop of a hat, because I had a job to go to.

I even had to explain to someone a few weeks ago - yes I can be in if I know what day you're coming, but I do have to leave the house sometimes, so I would appreciate it if you'd tell me which day you're coming so that I can plan going out round you.
    s/e
  • Peapod2
    Peapod2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Pascha - you won't be surprised at the number of people who are convinced that all disabled people are home 24 hrs a day.

I had my bathroom adapted by my local council 3 or 4 years ago - at that time I was working full time. Even the home aid co-ordinator couldn't take on board that I couldn't be available at the drop of a hat, because I had a job to go to.

I even had to explain to someone a few weeks ago - yes I can be in if I know what day you're coming, but I do have to leave the house sometimes, so I would appreciate it if you'd tell me which day you're coming so that I can plan going out round you.

I am registered disabled with severe orthopaedic problems and a brain tumour so I do appreciate what you are saying, but let us be honest there are many people fleecing the system and these people give the genuine claimants bad press.
  • Peapod2 wrote: »
    .. but let us be honest there are many people fleecing the system and these people give the genuine claimants bad press.
    The thing is, I don't think there are as many as some would have us believe. There have been numerous checks on people claiming benefits, DLA, IB etc, and the fraudulent claims they uncover are are tiny % of the claims.

Yes, I'm sure that there are more people fraudulently claiming things like JSA and housing benefit, but I bet the majority of them aren't disabled.
    s/e
  • I think the general scepticism surrounding all disabled people is a problem in itself. I also think this is a reason why so many of us are posting and reading these forums. Its great for all goverments if the attitude to disabled people is that they are basically scroungers. That misbelief keeps the benefits low and unchalleged.
    There will be a low percentage of people out there screwing the system. Sadly there are also people out there who cannot get the benefits they are entitled too.
    I know one man who was denied mobility allowance - he could crawl but couldn`t walk.
    I`m not knocking the OP, but we really don`t know the full story and this keeps the scroungers myth going.
  • Peapod2 wrote: »
    Thank You. I implied the same thing on another post and I was told off. There are lots of people in the town I live in using walking aids that don't need them. I know personally that some days are better than others but when you see said people lift up their crutches and run across the road to talk to a friend :confused:

A friend of mine was telling me about someone she knew well who had popped in to see her just to say that she had managed to get DLA (mobility component) but she couldn't stop as she was 'going out 'clubbing' to celebrate her windfall.'

that is exactly it to get mobility you must be able to practically not walk at all but ive also seen these people lift up there sticks and run and when they are coming up for a new car after 3 years there they are struggling around on there sticks then they get the new car and they are walking normally . i think the system should change this self assesment rule thing is not right as some are better story tellers than others and its all down to wording apparantly this would show whos genuine and who is not .
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I go clubbing on my MC LM but then I also work and go to uni. So what if i'm disabled it doesn't mean i need to sit at home all day feeling sorry for myself - that's the role of the perpetual jobseeker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure