Can't sign up for Santander online banking? Look here

2»

Comments

• todaysteaser
    todaysteaser Posts: 30 Forumite
    Santander rang me as I ended my last email by stating how frustrated I was, they explained the surcode - surname code, and when to use it also £15 deposited to my account for my trouble, but guess what it still wont work. oh well.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 May 2013 at 4:54PM
    surname code? did you understand what one of those is? can you share with us what it is?

EDIT: Google finds some references, but it makes me none the wiser. And what's it got to do with online banking registration remains a mystery to me. I certainly can't recall that I needed to provide such a code, or that there were any messages about such a code. It sounds a bit like Santander-internal jargon to me, and you should have been paid a lot more than £15 for enduring talk about it!

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/tcmanual/tcm0314400.htm
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2820510

May be PM ses6jwg (Sant employee) if you are still not having any fun registering?
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    No idea what a surcode is but I got my details on Saturday and registered fine with them.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    matttye wrote: »
    They are 14!

4757 14

I'm just repeating what the guy in customer services told me, but if the first four digits are on cards over a year old it's obviously not that new :p

The guy was probably just giving you some techno babble. My cards begin 4757 14.

Santander's process for signing up for online access is a bit long-winded and takes quite a long time. IIRC they send you two codes by post.
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    The guy was probably just giving you some techno babble. My cards begin 4757 14.

Santander's process for signing up for online access is a bit long-winded and takes quite a long time. IIRC they send you two codes by post.

They sent a user ID and password in one letter and a security number in another (days later).
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • todaysteaser
    todaysteaser Posts: 30 Forumite
    Finally got it, trial and error. A surcode is your account number followed by the 1st 3 letters of your surname, this allows transfer of funds from other banks to Santander account. It was like winning the lottery when it finally worked lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure