PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

what book would you recommend

2»

Comments

• room512
    room512 Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I love The Complete Cookbook by Mary Berry (I got it years ago from the Book People!) - has all sorts in it with pictures and is separated into how much time you have to spend on a particular recipe.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    There's a mega recipe book recommendation thread - although it hasn't been updated in a year :eek::p

Cook book buying addiction is also great!!!!

My current favourite is Madhur jaffreys curry bible and jamies ministry of food. Although i tend to use different recipes from different ones and have loose ones all thrown in a folder. Silly things like recipes for chilli jam on an envelope on the inside of one of my cupboards :o

Ill merge this later on

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• None....... it is money saving to buy NONE! Because once you start buying you end up like me and have hundreds of the things!
    On a more serious note i'm another to back Delia/Nigel slater and Jamies Ministry of Food for ease and non complicated recipe lists.
    BBC good food is always good but as others have said you have the world at the end of your finger tips with the internet all supermarkets have recipe pages and i use allrecipes.com alot because other half is American and loves Mexican food and it has hundreds of reviews to read to see if it works xx
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    The Takeaway Secret has revolutionised my cooking. It gave me the confidence to use different flavours and spices and to properly go for completely cooking from scratch. Pretty inexpensive as recipe books go too, and helps by giving recipes for basic building-blocks to prepare in a batch cook session so that you can throw a meal together really quickly. Has all sorts of different foods in it - somethings I would never dream of purchasing from a takeaway!
  • gremlin
    gremlin Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fisrt can I thank each and every one of you for your replies and recommendations.

I take it on board about using the net to save money and will get scouring the net for recipies especially the BBC and alltherecipies.

I sort of fancied a book recommendation as a bit of a christmas pressie for myself as I really want to get into cooking again and push myself a bit further that the bog standard.

I'll see if I can get any of the books mentioned from the library . I love JO & Nigel Slaters programmes so will try to hunt them down in particular.

sonastin - thats one of the issues I have. I have a herb garden and like using herbs & spices in my cooking but other than basics I'm not sure what spices go with what in normal day to day cooking (not just currys etc IYSWIM?) I remember curry queen years ago putting up some recipies for great home made currys so I'll have a dig around for them

Apparently what I cook is good and I've been told I make a great Roast which is odd cos I cant taste them lol

again thanks for the recommendations all

xx
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye" - Miss Piggy
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 December 2012 at 3:38PM
    If you are looking for reliable recipes then you can't go wrong with Delia - borrow a few from the library to see how you get on but the main benefit for you would be that as long as you follow the recipe to the letter it will come out right, and you don't have to worry about not being able to taste meat dishes to check for flavour etc.

The Winter Collection has some lovely stews etc, but all of her recipes are good and my step-father taught himself to cook everything from Sunday lunch to bread and marmalade using her books after my Mum died, especially the How to Cook trio, and successfully made dishes containing ingredients he'd never used before.
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rose-Elliots-New-Complete-Vegetarian/dp/0007325614/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1
    I have this one, and also quite a few Veggie cookbooks.
    This book has a 1000 recipes so pretty comprehensive and is also vegan friendly if that is ever an issue.
    I also agree with googling recipes, it is something I do all the time, my personnal favourites are BBC Food, BBC Good Food (just ignore the lazy product placement though product direction can be helpful), Chow, Epicurious. I believe you are only as good as your cookbooks, recipes and ingredients however frugal so long as you manage to lock down the all important flavour/s.
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport