Plasterboard and skim ceiling

Hi,
My kitchen ceiling was covered with polystyrene tiles (yuk) which I've pulled down, only to find under that some nasty artex. I started steaming it off, but realising it could take the rest of my life think it would be better just to get the ceiling over-boarded and skimmed. I can't just get the artex skimmed over as there's large blobs of the tile adhesive stuck to it, and the ceiling under the artex is not in a good state.

The kitchen ceiling is quite small - 1.7m x 3.5m - so I wondered if the £247.50 for a new plasterboard ceiling and skim from fixmyproperty.com sounds reasonable? It's just so hard to get tradesmen to bother turning up here in Leeds :(

Comments

• Myrtle
    Myrtle Posts: 215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've just paid £200 for the same job (in Sheffield). The room was bigger but the builder was already on-site doing other jobs for me. Your quote seems ok to me. :)
  • booty40uk
    booty40uk Posts: 514 Forumite
    Hi
    I would charge £225 for the same job. In South Wales so may be a bit cheaper anyway.

Hope that helps

Andy
  • I seek to smooth out Artex and fit down-lights in my kitchen's plaster board ceiling (mid 80s build).

Is it a very big job to pull down / rip out the old ceiling boards and fit new ones myself? I can imagine quite a lot of debris and dust but are there any complications beyond that? I might give it a try.

I reckon that replacement might be easier than smoothing and wiring in-situ and certainly cheaper than calling in any contractor.
  • cargo
    cargo Posts: 462
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As quick to rip down and replace as you say,plus you get to run your new lights in easier.
    There is nothing hard and fast to re boarding it.
    Run a sharp stanely knife around edges where ceiling butts to wall.
    May save the top edge of your walls a bit.
  • cargo wrote: »
    As quick to rip down and replace as you say,plus you get to run your new lights in easier.

After I thought of this approach, someone else suggested adding new plaster boards underneath, i.e. leaving the existing (old) ceiling in place. Although I'd lose about 15mm of room height, they suggested it would be easier and a lot less messy. What do you reckon?

Regards
    George
  • if it's an 80's build then it'll be old plasterboard sheets you'll be pulling down not lath & plaster as in old houses - its a bit messy but nowhere near as bad as the L & P ceilings - I took our bathroom ceiling down on Saturday whilst my DH ripped out the fireplace - no problem - just de-nail the joists as you go along & put up the new plasterboard with plasterboard/clout nails - the plasterer will do the rest - I personally find it a lot easier with the old ceiling down than nailing new one on top - its easier to see the joists & your not likely to hit the nails from the old boards underneath

I'm sure others will be along with their views/experience - this is how we've done it in our other 2 houses

my friend just had a plasterer in to skim over 2 large ceilings with artex, he was their 2 days, knocked off a lot of the pointy artex bits 1st & charged her £240 which I thought was reasonable
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure