PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any everhot owners out there

Options

Comments

• artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2010 at 5:58PM
    Options
    hi

yes, they are expensive - but hopefully will last a lifetime and my ds age 4 says he wants to have it in his house when he gets big - he loves cooking cakes and biscuits in it, and sits with his back to it when he comes in from the cold..:D

I wanted one when we moved in here nearly 10 years ago, and for 2 years have had no oven at all - but i was determined to save up and get an Everhot (if not Everhot it would have been a wood burning range cooker)...

Just now need to save up for the solar PV to put on roof to power it in the future:rolleyes:

We have just had a Lancashire Hotpot that has been in the slow oven since noon ..... wonderful, lamb falling off the bone....

I am still getting used to it but so far so good..:D

art
  • Newbird
    Newbird Posts: 488 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2010 at 6:22PM
    Options
    Hmmm, yes they look good, I can see they have several advantages and are billed as the lowest cost electric range to run...(not sure how many other there are, but I know Aga do one.) I'm sure they will turn out fantastic cooking too-but I wonder how long it will be before you re-coup the purchase cost against any savings you may/will make
    from running a normal elec oven instead just when wanted?

Do you have any other heating in your kitchen at all, or rely totally on the EH, suppose it depends on what size room it is installed in.
    Interested to hear if any Everhot owners have worked this out?

I have a south facing roof that would take a solar panel, but again the initial cost is putting me off as it will take such a long time to see the benefits that it doesn't actually feel like money saving...
    Bless Martin's Little Cotton Socks. I thank him for giving us MSE. Look what its grown into!

MFW = ASAP #124
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lots of new posters, lovely,I am so excited! I loved the coment about not sure why they should be mentioned on this site, as they are so expensive. Its partly due to this site that I can afford one! And this is old style, if the oven lasts a lifetime, then its not a bad investment.:money:
    Although this is the most I have spent on anything other than a house or a car!:eek: But hey I love to cook, so lets hope its money well spent.
    Did most peeps manage to get a reduction on list price?

Love those beetroot, parsnip crisps, sometimes I just use the peelings, I can see the slow cooker and the Remoska are all going to be a bit redundant now!
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • artichoke
    edited 6 January 2010 at 9:51PM
    Options
    and the toasters redundant, and the microwave, and the electric kettle if you buy a hob one...

i even ironed DS and DD's name tags into their school uniform using the hotplate/lid ( i don't do any other ironing ever so dont have an iron)

i also hang school uniform over the rail overnight so they are warm in the morning...

I also think it is money saving if they last a lifetime and get passed down the family....We have lived here 10 years and gone through 2 electric built in ovens and lived without an oven for the last 2 years as there was no way i was going to buy another c**p oven that would only last 5 years....

and it seems to clean itself which is always a bonus:D

It took me ages to justify spending so much (our car only cost £500)

and again it was the advice on here that has enabled me to cut my outgoings down so much allowing me to save up for the Everhot, and i am now moneysaving still to get the solar panels to go with it and then i will feel quite secure knowing i can generate my own electricity to power it..

solar panels are very expensive at the moment but if electricity prices rise as forcast then the payback time becomes much smaller...plus from April you get paid 36p per kw to generate

art
  • kristian1pwo
    Options
    My wife and I are really keen to get an Everhot 100 once we finish renovating our house. We don't need to be sold on how economical they are in comparrison to other range cookers and that we can also use them to offset the cost of heating the kitchen etc.

However, I am trying to work out if it is worth getting an induction hob and hope someone can tell me my sums don't add up as I believe it will take 22 years before the savings made from the induction plate begin to offset the cost.

Going off Everhots own figures I understand that it costs about £500 per year to run the:

Hotplate = maximum 400C
    Simmer plate = max 400C
    Top oven = 250C
    Bottom oven = 200C
    Plate warm oven = 50C

My assumption is that the additional induction hob would give out a maximum of 400C in addition to the other plates/ovens and therefore cost an additional £154 per/yr (400C of 1300C (hotplate+simmer plate+top oven+etc) = £154 of £500).

Everhot claim the induction hob would put 90p of every pound spent into boiling water compared to about 60p of other plates, therefore saving 30% on heating.

Therefore 30% of £154 is £46, which means it would take nearly 22 years to before the £1000 induction plate started being cost effective.

I know the ovens would last a lifetime but would the induction hob?

Any thoughts?
  • artichoke
    Options
    hi

i did think about the 100i but like you could not work out if the induction hob was worth while economically....

why would you use the induction hob rather than the hotplate? only if you needed to turn off the hotplate in the summer....... my kitchen is cold in the summer and i did not think the heat from the hotplate would be unbearable....

however once i had my chimmney inset tiled and thought about plug sockets - i realized i could only fit a 90 in.... so my dilemma was solved ....

sorry not much help - but i did think the induction hob was too expensive for what it is.....

art
  • fuglyjowls
    Options
    Pawpurrs - how long do you cook the parsnip crisps for and do you do them in teh bottom oven?

Kristian - I'm not sure if I've missed the point or you have but when a friend was researching the induction plate she seemed to think it wasn't intended to save money on running costs but to save time on cooking and for use in the summer if you want to turn off the other plates. Didn't fully understand your comments but the induction hob doesn't give off heat into the room - just heats the pan so I think maybe you're looking at it the wrong way. My friend did go for the induction hob by the way and loves it - she tends to leave both her hotplates on at simmer temp and boil on the induction then move across to the simmerplates to simmer - that way she has a much bigger simmering area as she does lots of chutneys and soups etc - (personally I just cook them in the bottom oven but they didn't do the induction hob when I bought mine!). She says it isn't costing her any more to run that the quoted figures in the brochure.
    Nice to save.
  • pawpurrs
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 January 2010 at 3:41PM
    Options
    Personally I wouldnt go for an induction hob, as I love the old fashioned hotplates, and think they are ample.

Just been sent a new picture of the New Style 90, and am now in two minds whether to go for the simmer plate or not its an extra £600...........hmmmmmmmmmmm, what do you think?

Parsnip crisps, I just slice thinly and coat in olive oil and then bake, dont have my everhot yet but guess it would be best in the bottom oven.

Does the plate on the 90 get warm at all, and is thereany room to put a kettle when not in use on the back of the hotplate?
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • kristian1pwo
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments.

Part of Everhots pitch for the induction plate is that it puts 90p of every pound spent on electricity into the pan, rather than 60p of other hotplates. Given that the plates only account for £150 per year of the Everhots running costs, I wondered, at what point savings from the induction hob would exceed the cost and my crude calculations below gave me a figure of 22 years.

I have actually spoken to Everhot today and they couldn't give me any accurate figures, claiming simply the more one uses it the more it would eventually save (I got the impression they realise the inductions efficiency alone is not worth the £1000 price tag). Although the induction hob might be faster to cook with, I think it is an extravegence I could happily go without, particularly when the hot plate and simmer plate seem to have such great reviews on there own and contribute to the background heat I am also after.

Thanks again. Great posts and really helpful.
  • pawpurrs
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think your looking at it the wrong way, I dont think the induction hob is a saving,against the hotplates, as they would be on anyway, the saving is comparing it to a standard gas or halogen hob IYSWIM. As it only heats the pan as opposed to a standard hob IYSWIM..........
    Pawpurrs x ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure