Orange Swapables - anyone used yet?

I'm particularly interested to know how good sky sports is with this & can you use it over wifi, as the data bundles on orange are not particularly generous!

Would also be keen to hear how good Deezer is

Comments

• I upgraded to an Orange Panther plan (mainly because swapables looked good!) on Saturday and my plan includes 2 swapables but when I access the page to choose my swapables I get this:

ht*tp://*img155.imageshack.us/img155/6960/sc20110926104317.jpg

(couldn't post photo or link as I'm new user. Just remove the asterixs and paste into browser!)

Have called Customer Services countless times and they've either never heard of Swapables or they just fob me off to another department who either promise to phone back and don't or have not heard of Swapables either. Bit of a joke at the moment, surely it's not that difficult. Was googling to see if anyone had similar problems but can't find anything!
  • I purchased a new Orange subscription a couple of weeks ago on Panther and called Orange Customer Services (India Call Centre) to ask exactly the questions you just asked.

It was probably the most frustrating two hours of my life (no joke) dealing with people who wanted to be helpful but did not have a clue about anything I asked. I couldn't get the Sky Sports working on my mobile (which was one of my swapables) and the Orange staff just kept giving the first answer that came into their heads as they didn't want to admit they didn't understand any of my questions.

They didn't understand the difference between WiFi and 3G. Had never heard about swapables and kept puting me on hold after every question I asked. Eventually they told me I couldn't watch Sky Sports as I didn't have a TV subscription. I explained I was on Panther and had it as part of my swapable. They kept telling me I was wrong and Orange did not have anything called swapables.

They also told me I could only watch 10 minutes of TV per month because it used my data allowance and I would be charged once my data allowance ran out. It was scary stuff.

I eventually found out the answers to my questions...

1. The mobile TV Sky Sports can only be used on 3G. This is beause they can't validate your subscription via Wifi.

2. The quality of the picture is poor and very jerky due to the nature of 3G.

3. I have never managed to watch more than 90 seconds of football before it bombs out. It can take another minute to cache and start playing again.

4. I was told the TV does NOT come out of your allowance but there is a 3Gb limit per month. After 3Gb you would be charged at normal rates. You get no email or indication once your 3Gb has run out.

5. Nobody could tell me how many hours of TV you get in your 3Gb limit.

Basically, I've found the service rarely works and when it does the picture is so bad it is not worth watching.

A very frustrating serice from Orange which could turn out to cost you a lot of money.

If anyone has any tips on making the Sky Sports work any better I would really appreciate it.

Cheers....
  • If it's true that you can only watch sky sports on 3G then that is very poorly thought out and I definitely would not bother with that.

I know what you mean about it being frustrating, I kept getting told my swapables were my data allowance and text allowance or that I need to buy bolt ons or something else stupid.

I still can't even pick any Swapables so you've got further than me, it's been ongoing since Saturday now and they still can't work out the problem. I phoned this morning after waiting 48 hours (in which time I was assured it would be sorted) and they said "We just don't have the tools to fix the problem" so they've had to raise some kind of customer services investigation into it. The swapables are one of the only reasons I changed to Panther but so far it's been a bit of a joke.

I'm thinking of changing my mind, I just need to see if there is a cool-down period or anything which allows this.
  • Hi Jazzyjeff

Our Sky Sports Swapable can be used over 3G or Wi-fi and you would not be charged for any data used by this service. There is no fixed limit to how much you can use, however, customers using an excessive amount may have their download speeds temporarily reduced. This only applies when in the UK, any usage when abroad would be charged at the normal roaming rates.

Tibmonkey and Defcon1, I'm sorry to hear of the problems you experienced when you called Customer Services about our Swapables. I'd be happy to see if I can get to the bottom of any queries you have.

We're unable to receive private messages on here, however, if you visit our Facebook page via the link on our MSE profile, you can send us a private message through there if you'd like.

I hope this helps!

^Darren_OrangeHelpers
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Orange. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I have recently upgraded to the panther 36 and added the Swapables Sky sports package and up until the 27th Sept it worked fine as long as it was a 3g + signal. Since the 27th it just stopped altogether and Orange have finally admitted that they have problems with the system which they are trying to rectify.

One piece of info worth making note of is that if you choose the book club as a swapable you do not get to choose the book as it is chosen for you although there is hundreds to choose from at a charge!!!!

It has taken us over 4 hours on the phone to Orange in the past week for them to finally admit there is a problem, some of the people we have spoken to just try to fob you off and others are as helpful as they can be.

My wife has the tv max package at £8.99 and she has also been unable to view this from the same date of the 27th Sept.....she was supposed to be on the Panther 36 same as me but they messed up on changing her over on our billing date and told her she will have to wait until October`s billing date before they can change it.

Hopefully this will be sorted soon or they will have two phones returned for refund..............
  • Defcon1 wrote: »
    1. The mobile TV Sky Sports can only be used on 3G. This is beause they can't validate your subscription via Wifi.

This is not true. I have Panther 36 with x2 Swapables, one of course is Sky Sports Mobile TV. You need to be using 3G when you access swapables for the first time (so that it can validate your subscription) but only for the first time. I.E. as soon as you have registered the fact that you are entitled to swapables (via 3G), you can switch back to your WiFi connection and watch it without having to worry about data allowance.

That said, the picture quality is absolutely disgraceful! I'm not joking, it really is shocking. Not only is it so bad that you struggle even to see the ball in a sport like football (forget about stuff like tennis!) but the sound is almost always several seconds behind the picture.

I was hoping that the picture quality would be better on WiFi (as it is for all other mobile video) but sadly, that's not the case.

What I would suggest to everyone who has already got access to the Sky Sports Orange Mobile Tv Page Thingy lol, is to scroll right down to the bottom where there is a "feedback" option. Use that to register your anger; I have. If absolutely everyone who uses it complains about it, you'd like to think they might just do something about it!

P.S: Android rules. Apple OS sucks. :-D
  • 31satara
    31satara Posts: 14 Forumite
    Your lucky you've got anything!
    I'm still getting nowhere with Orange trying to get my swapables. I took the Panther plan (blackberry torch 9810, os7) so I could have sky and deezer. The mobile swappables page only offered my mobile tv and astrology! I did try the mobile tv - but it then told me that my handset was not compatable. I'm not prepared to even try the astrology!
    I spoken to several orange customer services people but none seem to really know what's happening or have any answers. I emailed twice, but still no replies......
    I'd be interested to know if your mobile swappables page offers all? And what phone / operating system people are using (that does or doesn't work). Thanks.
  • rodneym
    rodneym Posts: 13
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes I have used orange swapable (sky sports live football) successfully on the couple of times I've tried/needed to - and am posting this whilst using it to watch Chelsea vs Arsenal (5-3 with seconds to go, what a game!). But only using home wifi as main data connection - and having previously registered sky sports as one of my swapables using a 3g connection.

To clarify a key point based on my exp - you DO need to have a 3G connection to access the swapable page - this is needed each time, not a one off. So first of all wifi needs to be turned off. But as soon as you've accessed the swapable page, (and clicked on sky sports etc) you can then turn the wifi back on.

(I'm doubtful that a 3g connection alone would be good enough, unless you are somewhere with a very strong signal, but home wifi, other wifi or decent hotspots should be OK).

But connected to wifi the picture/match on my samsung S2 phone is reasonable - a bit blocky/pixelated but certainly watchable. The S2 is an android device, has a big 4" screen and hefty processor so is top end spec-wise. Not sure how other phones would cope.

I have also connected my phone to my flat screen TV to watch the match, but thats a different issue....

Hope this helps
  • I had the Sky Sports swappable for two months....the pic quality was a bit jerky on 3g and wi-fi, but I rarely watched anything...possibily because my club is rarely on Sky Sports.

What are the other swappables?
  • 31satara
    31satara Posts: 14 Forumite
    Spent another three quarters of an hour on the phone to Orange, but still not sorted. They have promised to look into it further and get back to me......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure