Pension Credit review advice for my mum!

lindos90
lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 5 May 2010 at 12:26PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi, Im hoping someone can help..
My mum (73) had a letter some time ago saying she was due to have a pension credit review, and someone would call her, or she would get a form to fill in, this has not happened, I called and they said they will 'get round to it' they were willing to talk about it, but not actually take her new figures over the phone.

The big problem we have is that hopefully my mum wants to move to live near me, but she is afraid of taking on a more expensive rent (housing association rather than council) incase her pension credit changes, and possibly affecting her eligibility for housing benefit.

Her income and savings have not changed very much in the last 5 years, so im anticipating there will not be much of a change, but there could be if she is near a 'threshold'.

I know very little about pension credits and what the 'guarantee' elements mean, except she has been told that currently she gets full Housing benefit as she has a 'guarantee credit', which may or maynot change when she is reassessed .

Can someone advise if there is a way of getting them to do the assessment now, so she knows if she can afford to move?

Comments

• anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ask them to send the PC2 form or ask for a visit, and the form has to be at her AIP review date otherwise it just hold things up. and all her verificiation has to be at that date to,
  • lindos90
    lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    anmarj wrote: »
    ask them to send the PC2 form or ask for a visit, and the form has to be at her AIP review date otherwise it just hold things up. and all her verificiation has to be at that date to,

Hi, thanks for the reply, can you tell me what an AIP review is please?

The review 'date' mentioned in the last letter from them has come and gone now, and she has had no contact, thats the problem, I called last week and they said they knew it was overdue and as it was their fault, she would not have to repay any overpayments that maybe made in the mean time as it would be 'their fault', and would contact her 'in due course'.

I'll try again tomorrow and ask for the PC2 form, see if we can get things started...in the mean time it looks like she may have an offer of a housing association bungalow, but she is really concerned about taking it on incase the review means she doesnt get housing benefit anymore!
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    aip is her assessed income period review, ie the date that was set in her first letter ie 6/10/03-15/2010, that means if she had any increases in capital which was set at that time then the department would not need to know, same if she has a works pension and it was set and increased each year but what the system auto mactically increased it to a lower amount than what she was actually paid then there would be no change until it came to the review date. if her review was due before 2/110/09 then any capital over £6,000 would be taken into account as tarriff income ie £1 per £500 above this figure, rising to £10,000 from 2/11/09, unfortuntely there are a lot of outstanding cases and it has been difficult to get through them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure