What does any permitted route mean?

Ive just bought a standard return ticket from birmingham new street to aberystwyth
I was wondering that if on the return journey id be able to call in to cardiff for a couple of nights then use the same ticket to get back to new street

Cardiff isnt on the list of stations i stop at on the first leg of the journey by the way

thanks

jon

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    No Cardiff is not on the route to or from Aberystwyth. It's miles away in the wrong direction.

You'll need a separate ticket.

Any permitted route means any route between the start and destination stations that is defined in the routing guide. AFAIK the only alternative routes for you would be between Birmingham and Wolverhampton. From there there is only one route - Telford Shrewsbury Newtown - to Aber.
  • jono-gmail
    jono-gmail Posts: 36 Forumite
    thanks for that dzug, stopped me getting carried away, would of been off on the channel tunnel to france next!! ,lol
  • Ah yes the "any permitted" argument.

As a previous poster has stated "any permitted" means that you can go via any valid route between the start and finish on your tickets.
    a valid route is defined as any acceptable route on the routing guide.

http://www.atoc.org/rsp/Routeing_Guide.asp
    If you need help decrypting the jargon PM me.
    Ex-Employee of a Train Operating Company.
    Ticket routing and rules expert.
    Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
    Been sent a summons on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you.
  • Birmingham N St part of Birmingham Routing Group
    Aberystwyth part of Machynlleth Routing Group

Only vaild route between Birmingham RG and Machynlleth RG is map CA
    (http://www.atoc.org/rsp/_downloads/Routeing_Guide/maps/map%20graphics/Map%20CA.jpg) which is via Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury.
    Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
  • Hello Jon!

I have had the exact same confusion problem but travelling in London.

It's not nice being stopped and 'verbally abused' by RPIs when they accuse you of travelling on an 'invalid route' but the ticket says 'Any Route Permitted'

How on earth does that make sense =P

It's not as if we are trying to travel in the opposite direction and back, I was only 15 mins away from my destination.

Why do they not say,

'Any Permitted Route' or 'Valid Routes Only'

instead of 'Any Route Permitted'

Would make much more sense and make more people question it, but there where can we find out what routes are permitted if ticketcollector on here wasnt as kind to post that link.

But even using that link confuses me greatly.

Ohhh well, I suppose it's UK rail travel =)
  • You need a degree in Rocket Science to understand the routing guide (even then it hasn't been updated since 2007)
  • tiggert
    tiggert Posts: 13 Forumite
    Reading the atoc document, it mentions that if the route is the shortest distance between departure and destination, then it is a permitted route.
    It doesn't mention if a stop and a change of train, as long as on that same route, would be valid. Does anyone know?
    E.g: The shortest route between A and B passes through station C. Would I be allowed to get off the train at C, and get another train from there (not coming from A) that follows the same remainder of the route to B?

Thanks,
    T.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tiggert wrote: »
    Reading the atoc document, it mentions that if the route is the shortest distance between departure and destination, then it is a permitted route.
    It doesn't mention if a stop and a change of train, as long as on that same route, would be valid. Does anyone know?
    E.g: The shortest route between A and B passes through station C. Would I be allowed to get off the train at C, and get another train from there (not coming from A) that follows the same remainder of the route to B?

Thanks,
    T.
    It's not always the shortest distance either. A high speed train might be longer distance but get there quicker.

You can usually get off and on the train on your way to the destination.

I went once to Dublin via Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Stafford, Crewe, Chester and Holyhead jumping off the train at each point wandering around having a pint and then continued on the next train. All that for £30.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tiggert wrote: »

Thanks,
    T.

Almost certainly yes (unless your ticket is restricted to specific trains).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure