Cheaper gas/electric for the disabled.

Comments

• qwertyuiop12345
    qwertyuiop12345 Posts: 603 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2010 at 1:49PM
    geoff11 wrote: »
    yes, thats if your wth my supplier british gas, they do a tarrif called essential user, which is for disabled or vulnerable people, if your with them call them.

I was moved on to this and it turned out to be exactly the same as the online dual fuel direct debit tariff that I was already on. I queried this and was told that basically they just make sure essentials users are on their cheapest available tariff, but as good 'money saving experts' this should already apply regardless of disability. They did also send me some free junk (a monitoring thing and a cut out extension cord) but I think there is another thread about this.

If you are disabled (or old, I think?) and live alone I believe British Gas will also provide a free annual boiler check.
  • zee_2
    zee_2 Posts: 566 Forumite
    I am on hydro for gas / elect ,big discount for disability / low income ,pay by normal a/c and have discount on cheapest possible rate , they found that they had made a mistake in gas bill last winter and told me not to pay gas bill till they sorted it out ,gave me supervisors name to call if problem...ended up with their sorry ,due gas bill paid from overcharge and £68 credit for next ,its great to be at recieving end of good service ,think they are e-on in england/..
  • EDF give discounts on both gas and electricity for pensioners.:T
  • alanrp123 wrote: »
    EDF give discounts on both gas and electricity for pensioners.:T

only thing I would say with EDF if your using key meters make sure you have a shop that charges there key, We have had lots of problems getting our EDF key charged...

Just went back to British Gas aseveryone of our local shops charges there keys + they are sending us a Box where we can charge our keys up from home... Will definately come in handy in this bad weather :T:T
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Mr-Grumpy wrote: »
    only thing I would say with EDF if your using key meters make sure you have a shop that charges there key, We have had lots of problems getting our EDF key charged...

Just went back to British Gas aseveryone of our local shops charges there keys + they are sending us a Box where we can charge our keys up from home... Will definately come in handy in this bad weather :T:T

ohh tell me more
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • Paparika wrote: »
    ohh tell me more

it wont let me post links so try googling british gas Home Energy Top Up service

you get a box that plugs into your PC and then you can use your bank account to charge your key from your PC... My dad has just got his and said it was a god send over this cold spell, he hasnt had to go out once...
  • Wow that's fantastic! I hope my supplier considers doing the same thing, otherwise I'm thinking I might join British Gas (assuming it's financially viable) as I couldn't get out during the cold weather and ended up with 4p left in my emergency electric before I got some help to top up, so that would be a fantastic option.
    Never argue with an idiot; they'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
  • N-Power have a social tariff called 'Spreading Warmth' but it is not always the cheapest apparantly and you now need to be referred by such as the CAB or another organisation in order to benefit from it. You must also have a gross income of under £13,500 per annum and have someone over 60 or someone chronically sick or disabled or a child under 16 living at the property concerned.

Details here: http://www.npower.com/Spreading_Warmth/Content/Homepage/index.htm

Tally
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Mr-Grumpy wrote: »
    it wont let me post links so try googling british gas Home Energy Top Up service

you get a box that plugs into your PC and then you can use your bank account to charge your key from your PC... My dad has just got his and said it was a god send over this cold spell, he hasnt had to go out once...

This does sound so good, i have the the sinario your about to run out, no cash on you, but you have money in you bank account, housebound and you need to top up.... i'm with scottish power and i think it's time to change.... how much was it to have this particular service?
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • gan-gan
    gan-gan Posts: 10 Forumite
    No need to change SP have the same service

ScottishPower 'In Home' Pay-As-You-Go Service Up and Running

6 November 2009

Following last month’s launch of the first service in Great Britain that allows prepayment electricity customers to top-up credit from their own home via the internet, ScottishPower has announced that the service has been working well and that feedback from customers has been positive.

The service was first launched at the start of October 2009. Customers can find out more details at the Sp website or by calling 0845 270 3333.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure