PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Building Insurance - tax scam?

My incredibly dodgy freeholder has insured our property (I am the sole leaseholder) for buildings insurance with a rebuild value of over £1,000,000. Yes £1 million to rebuild a 3 story Victorian house in north London.
The terms of my lease dictate that he organises the insurance, at his discretion, and I have to pay 50%.
This years insurance is a total of £2843.00, of which I have to pay half.

Whats he up to? Is it a scam? Seems we are both needlessly overpaying and the property is way overinsured.

Any ideas anyone? His broker wont even acknowledge me as he only acts on behalf of the freeholder. When I asked the freeholder he told me to go to hell!

Comments

• Belnahua
    Belnahua Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Why not get your own quote and see what it comes out as, and then compare the difference?
    A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.
  • zone
    zone Posts: 249 Forumite
    Is it a listed building or some other special case?
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hambone wrote: »
    ...When I asked the freeholder he told me to go to hell!
    I'm sure he'll be requesting your rapid return when he realises you haven't paid your half ;)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • jenny74
    jenny74 Posts: 497 Forumite
    As a three story property, it may be what is known as 'non-standard' also if it is listed, it may be non standard. If it is in a flood/subsidence vunerable area the Insurance company will load the premium by 300%, so it could be a correct premium. However, the premium will depend on many factors, so it may not be very easy to get a quote.

I should think that if you are expected to pay half of this premium, then it would not be unreasonable to ask to see it. You should also ask to be noted as an 'Interested party' on the policy.

Hope this helps. I used to work in the Insurance industry, so can help with insurance queries to a point.

Jen
    I love giving home made gifts, which one of my children would you like? :D :A :D
  • hambone
    hambone Posts: 36 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies.

The property is not listed or in a flood/subsidence vulnerable area but it could be seen as 'non standard' as the ground floor is a vacant office.

So I can understand that the risk is deemed as higher but surely the 'rebuild' value should remain the same . Under a previous freeholder in 1999 the rebuild value was £180,000 and I have been told by a broker that by today's valuation it should be no more than £300,000 ?
    But this present freeholder has increased the rebuild now to over £1m. He is a property developer with many properties and has owned the freehold for 8 years. However only my address is on the schedule (he sends me a copy) so I dont think its a block policy but every year the rebuild value and the premium goes up.

I asked to be put on the policy as an interested party years ago but he did it.

I just dont get it and feel totally powerless to do anything!
  • hambone
    sorry I meant he did NOT put me on the policy as an interested party.....
  • hambone wrote: »
    Under a previous freeholder in 1999 the rebuild value was £180,000 and I have been told by a broker that by today's valuation it should be no more than £300,000 ?
    But this present freeholder has increased the rebuild now to over £1m. He is a property developer with many properties and has owned the freehold for 8 years.

This is one way in which [expletive deleted] freeholders make money out of property. My freeholder, SGIK, is actually in print (in the Independent, about 12 years ago) saying that if he didn't make money out of the buildings insurance he would not have bothered to invest in property.

You could go to the LVT about this; but if you do you need to be aware of - and have lots of counter-arguments to - Berrycroft Management Co Ltd and others vs Sinclair Gardens Investments ( Kensington) Ltd. Otherwise, your freeholder will just play that precedent like a trump card.
    However only my address is on the schedule (he sends me a copy) so I dont think its a block policy but every year the rebuild value and the premium goes up.

It will be a commercial block policy, if your freeholder is a big property owner; having only your address on the schedule is normal.
    I asked to be put on the policy as an interested party years ago

I think that you are entitled to this so, if he doesn't cooperate, just send him an annual notice in writing so that you at least have a record of your interest. Eg "I, as the lessee of ......., Land Registry number ...., formally request that my interest be recorded on the buildings insurance schedule."

Someone may come up with better wording; that is just off the top of my head. I would copy to the Land Registry, too, every year.

See also this thread, especially post number 7 et seq

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13154

Look also at past LVT decisions on the LEASE web site, where this precedent has been cited.
    YouGov: £50 and £50 and £5 Amazon voucher received;
    PPI successfully reclaimed: £7,575.32 (Lloyds TSB plc); £3,803.52 (Egg card); £3,109.88 (Egg loans)
  • hambone
    ahh many thanks beaujolais-nouveau........now the situation is getting a bit clearer -

So freeholder has a large portfolio of (good and bad) properties which he block insures - in order to get this deal the insurer greatly inflates the rate.

Each property is billed individually by the insurer but monies have to be paid to the freeholder so he recoups his own costs of the block policy and prob makes a profit too.

If so, is the rebuild valuation of £1m the actual rebuild cost of all his properties together? or just a figure made up for my property between freeholder and broker in order to increase my bill ie they both win and I lose.....

lord, why does property developing attract the most unscrupulous characters????
  • hambone wrote: »
    If so, is the rebuild valuation of £1m the actual rebuild cost of all his properties together? or just a figure made up for my property between freeholder and broker in order to increase my bill ie they both win and I lose.....

Well, without seeing your insurance schedule, I would say that the £1m is the rebuild cost of just your property. You may find that your freeholder is his own insurance broker - that is to say, that the two companies have directors-in-common: that is the case, with my flat. You could look them up on the Companies House web site.
    lord, why does property developing attract the most unscrupulous characters????

Before the leasehold enfranchisement and commonhold legislation was brought in, it was a way of making a lot of money from service charges; and in some instances it still is.
    YouGov: £50 and £50 and £5 Amazon voucher received;
    PPI successfully reclaimed: £7,575.32 (Lloyds TSB plc); £3,803.52 (Egg card); £3,109.88 (Egg loans)
  • hambone
    oh god!! I know that my freeholder's brother in law is an insurance broker!!!!

I bet thats the missing link.........

Its all fascinating and all so so wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure