From JSA to ESA help required/advise required please! Aspergers syndrome

Hi there everyone-1st time posting here so bear with me a bit!!

OK,my Partner has Aspergers syndrome and was signing on for JSA for the last 3 months,unfortunatly due to his aspergers he had a huge amount of anxiety when he was due to sign on (started days before he was due to sign) as so has been advised to get a sick note from the docs.

This he has done and has been told he has to sign off and then claim ESA.Does anyone know anything about this benefit at all-i have spent the afternoon reading up and filling out forms and im baffled,He currently already recieves the lower rate of DLA,and a disability premium with his JSA for getting the DLA.We also get child tax allowance for one child,and child benefit.

Will he still get a disability premium?
Can he still claim for me as his partner? (i cannot get carers allowance as he only gets lower rate dla)
Will this change anything else-Housing benefit/council txx/child tax credit intitlement?

Not sure if its because its a new benefit but theres not much easy reading available on the net about it and cant find much info from people who recieve it!

ANY help will be muchly appreciated-i think i am going crazy here,Oh and does anyone know how long it takes for the ESA to come through after 1st applying as he has signed off now so we wont get any more money through until ESA now so i'm a little concerned especially at this time of year!

Many thanks again

Comments

• All the info you need should be here

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/esa/

As far as I can see, the payment amounts are the same as on JSA. As for how long the payment will take, it can take up to 2-3 weeks. ESA replaced Incapacity Benefit in October, and when coming off JSA to ESA you have to "sign off completely".

This means your partner will have to have made a totally new claim for ESA, so will have to go through the entire processing system again. After you have applied, the Jobcentre state it can take anything up to 2-3 weeks for the first payment.

Your local Jobcentre should be able to give you more specific info on the status of his case and payment dates etc, I'm just giving you the general timescales.

Hope this helps :)
    If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame. :D
  • thats great thanks for that-he signed on and off this week and claimed for esa so hopefully there should'nt be too much of a gap inbetween payments-just trying to get things sorted before xmas breaks as im worried that will hold up the benefits claim as they will go on hols for a bit over xmas.

fingers crossed they get it sorted fast!

thanks for the help-jennie
  • fluffymovie
    fluffymovie Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello there

ESA is paid for 13 weeks on an assessment phase but your partner will be asked to attend a Work Focussed Interview to determine what work, if any, he is able to do.

If at week 14, he is capable of work, he will get ESA plus a component, either Work or Support. This would increase his payments. If they consider him able to work, he will get the work related component which is another £24 per week but if not, he will get the support component which is £29.00 but it is important that he attends the interviews to explain and provide any medical proof that they require.

The disability premium is a massive issue for those of us working with ESA but I dont' work for ESA themselves but a local council so not too sure about that.
    I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.

All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    He will get almost £37 weekly less than he had from JSA for the first 13 weeks.

Then if he scores 15 points in the new medical test he will get an extra £24 (Or possibly £29) weekly but even then he will still be over £13 weekly worse of than he was on JSA.

The rate of people failing the new medical test for ESA is expected to incease by 20% more than it was on IB.

The number of sick people expected to get the extra £29 weekly for being in the support group is expected to be only about 5% of all ESA claimants.

The best advice you could be given is to plead with his doctor to backdate a sick line before October 27th and claim IB instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure