HELP What is a customer compliance officer @Job Centre

Hi...

Friend is very worried about a letter so I wondered can anybody help ....

she got a letter today "Invitation to office interview" then goes on to say

"we need to see you to discuss a query that has arisen concerning your claim to benefit. It is essential that you attend this interview as it may affect your benefit................. the rest of the letter looks standard and asks her to bring id

Facts: She was self employed and has only recently (1 month) claimed income support... only just in receipt of payments etc she is driving me mad worried....

Anybody any ideas what these letters are, are they standard... what is a customer compliance officer etc etc.
Oh how I dream............

Comments

• vicki_b
    vicki_b Posts: 306 Forumite
    a lot of people have reported that this is just routine however i got called into a customer compliance officer meeting+discovered my neighbour had tried reporting me....
  • sarebear_2
    sarebear_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    my husbands compliance officer visit was because someone had reported him foe benfit fraud .:mad: luckily for us it was total rubbish. Good luck with it.
  • lesandflynny
    lesandflynny Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Has anybody else been invited to a meeting with a customer compliance officer.... what are their roles, there is no way she can be questioned for fraud, so could there be another explaintation??

Thanks
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It is a fraud investigator. If it is a case where they were considering prosecution they would be interviewing her under caution, but that doesn't look like it will be the case here. It sounds like there is something not quite right about her claim, or there are suspicions about it and they want to interview her about it to determine whether she has a legit claim or not.
  • lesandflynny
    lesandflynny Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank's.... I have passed on all info and have suggested she phone them.

She cannot imagine what suspisions they might have but I have tried to re-assure that if she has nothing to hide not to worry.

It is a very blunt letter and I know these things tend to make people worry. I remeber my Nan getting something about bailiffs & court action from the LA. It turned out she owed them 83p (their mistake in calculating her DD payments) but she never slept for nights until she confided in her daughter who immediately called and resolved things (oh, yes she gave them a roasting for intimidating older folk too (;>)

Ciao x
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    vicky b said that her neighbour had reported her. How do you find out who reports who? Thought it was all confidential?
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    vicky b said that her neighbour had reported her. How do you find out who reports who? Thought it was all confidential?

I dont think you can find out who reports who. It is all confidential. I dont know what happened in vicky bs case maybe she guessed or the Compliance Officer let it slip.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It is confidentail who made the report- they are very often anonymous anyway.
  • ronson49
    ronson49 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Im opening this bad boy up from the dead.

I would like to share my experience of this as i did come to this exact post (via google) and it didnt answer my questions yesterday.

Today, having been for my interview. It turns out that complience officers are essentially fraud investigators. However lets make it clear that they are not. They are there to inform you of the legality of your claim to make sure you are not commiting fraud knowingly.

Lets take for an example, A Male and a Female living together in a flat. One of them works full time the other does not. This male and female must be judged by the job centre that they are not living a life similar to that of a married couple or civil relationship.

In other words, its not the job centres job to prove you ARE a couple, it is your job to prove to them that you are NOT a couple. You might be staying with your cousin, or perhaps your male friend... You need to prove you are not gay as well.

I do not understand how to prove otherwise. If Boy A and Girl B share the livingroom then that seems to be classed as similar to a married couple. If that is used against you then you have no leg to stand on surely? I mean, i cooked dinner for 6 friends in Uni so automatically the job centre would class me as a Gangbanger with multiple relationships.

So it seems the only thing left for Boy A is to move out and be alone otherwise Girl B will need to pay for Boy A's upkeep..... It is crazy.

So back to the topic,

They will explain to you the law and give you time to think about it, if you are sure you are ok, then you proceed to the next interview stage where you are questioned and a statement is sent to a descision maker. Following the above story "Hmm do i think Boy A and Girl B are in a relationship?" and if they decide you are then your benefits are stopped.

At any point in the process, you could change your cicumstances, stop claiming, find a job and so on. You are allowed to appeal the descision one time only.

So is there anything to worry about? Well not from a legal point of view, If i refuse to comply then it prob will end up a fraud investigation (same power as the police apart from arrest). However, if you comply and are found to be incorrect by the end of the process, then you will lose your benefits.

In my case, it seems i have no way to prove i am not a couple so as i write this my future has went from bad to completely dire. Cant expect the flatmate to pay for me being unemployed so it seems come the end of the month, ill be pretty much homeless with not a penny to my name.

Thanks for the help Job Centre Plus :confused:
  • hanny83_2
    hanny83_2 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Jobcentreplus look at much more than whether a boy and a girl share a living room together when deciding if two people are LTAHAW/CP. All sorts, from what neighbours make of their 'relationship' to bank accounts and loads of other things. Jobcentreplus recognises that mixed sexes live together purely on a flatshare basis.

Also, we can get the Police to make arrests on our behalf if we need to get someone in for an IUC who is refusing to do so.
    Hanny:easter_ba
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport