PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Where to buy cheap fabric for sewing / fabric remnants?

In Liverpool and the North West there are fabric shops called Abakhan where you can buy pieces of fabric by weight and cheap fabric on the roll.

Does anybody know a shop like this in London or the South East? Especially somewhere that has fabric pieces by weight.

Thanks Moneysavers.

Comments

• topmum
    topmum Posts: 387 Forumite
    oo spooky - I was about to post to ask if anyone knew where I can buy reasonably priced material online? Also dressmaking pattens online?
    :beer:
    :rotfl:
  • lizzeena
    lizzeena Posts: 26 Forumite
    That is spooky!

I really miss having somewhere cheap to rummage for a fabric pieces, so I hope somebody can help!
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Walthamstow Market has been recommended to me, but I have not managed to get there yet. I understand that it is on the Victoria tube line and also mainline train from Liverpool Street.

Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays are supposed to be best, but the person who told me about it tends to buy from the shops there mostly, so the day is not critical. Prices from 75p with the average around £1 -£1.50. Saturdays are really busy.

Patterns can be bought from http://www.jaycotts.co.uk/ Whenever I have bought from them the service has been very good. http://www.sewingpatterns.com/ is also supposed to be good but I have not tried it myself yet.

You might find http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/ helpful for sewing matters.
  • lazy_daisy
    lazy_daisy Posts: 158 Forumite
    First Post
    Wow this is spooky!
    I have been looking for dress fabric websites for the last few days but not much luck. I have been given a new sewing machine and want to make the kind of clothes that White Stuff and Fat Face sell for silly money, but it is difficult to buy the lovely fabrics that they use. The clothes themselves would be so easy to make if I could find these fabrics as they are often just unlined A-line skirts or simple fitted sleeveless blouses but it is the material that makes them look special. Oh well, if anyone knows, you lot will! I live in a bit of a retail backwater so have trouble finding anything decent around here....:confused:
    Thanks, and good luck,
    Lazy xx
    Up Jacob's Creek without a paddle!
  • lizzeena
    lizzeena Posts: 26 Forumite
    There are lots of pieces of fabric on ebay but there are some materials you really need to feel before you can buy. Might be good for spotting patterns a la Fat Face though.

I've been looking on the internet today and found a shop on Old Brompton Street in London (...near Gloucester Road, I think) which sells remnants from Liberty which is quite exciting.
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Search on Ebay for Voyage Sale in fabrics (link won't work for some reason) -not dirt cheap, but fair prices for amazing fabrics, and a lovely seller.
  • raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Croft Mill is very good for mail order - I think you can also buy in person if you live in the North. The catalogue is a hoot - the current one is entitled Defence of the Realm and the writer starts by having a whinge about the budget before mentioning in the description of the first bit of fabric for sale that we've got one over on Gordon there (the fabric is ex-mod and they are selling it for £2pm, it cost at least £5pm to make). http://www.croftmill.co.uk/ Click on JW Coates to request a catalogue. They have lots of fabric priced quite cheaply. Most of the fabric is under £6 a metre I think. There is quite a bit that is £1. The most expensive fabric in the current catalog is some Fake Fur at £12.50 per metre. The only thing that may put some off is you don't get any photographs, you can request samples though.
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    raeble wrote: »
    Croft Mill is very good for mail order - I think you can also buy in person if you live in the North. The catalogue is a hoot - the current one is entitled Defence of the Realm and the writer starts by having a whinge about the budget before mentioning in the description of the first bit of fabric for sale that we've got one over on Gordon there (the fabric is ex-mod and they are selling it for £2pm, it cost at least £5pm to make). http://www.croftmill.co.uk/ Click on JW Coates to request a catalogue. They have lots of fabric priced quite cheaply. Most of the fabric is under £6 a metre I think. There is quite a bit that is £1. The most expensive fabric in the current catalog is some Fake Fur at £12.50 per metre. The only thing that may put some off is you don't get any photographs, you can request samples though.

This sounds like the same company that used to advertise fabric in Prima, lots of funny descriptions of all the fabrics but no pictures!
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    raeble wrote: »

Thank you, thank you for this! Used to get the Croft Mill catalogue about 15years ago, but thought they'd gone out of business - used to have loads of really good bargains and the funny descriptions are a scream. I've sent for the catalogue now and am really looking forward to it dropping on the mat.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • lazy_daisy
    lazy_daisy Posts: 158 Forumite
    First Post
    Yes I get Croft Mill and they are very good but as you say- no pictures.
    V. good value for things like curtain lining, curtain tape, etc.
    I may have to take the plunge with their dress fabrics but it's difficult when you can't see them.
    Thanks wendym, will look for voyage.
    xxx
    Up Jacob's Creek without a paddle!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills