Holiday Ideas for Single Dad+son

2»

Comments

• BernadetteN
    BernadetteN Posts: 845 Forumite
    When I was little I loved going to Lightwater valley. Perhaps the north Yorkshire Moors would be better then and you could also take in York and the railway museum.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,446
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The Northumberland coast is lovely. I went there at the start of May with my daughter and found plenty to do and visit. We stayed at Berwick (fab old fashioned sweet shop there). Large caravan sites like Haggertson castle can offer a range of caravans from basic to ones that have more luxuries than home. I work children with significant health difficulties and would say sites like Haggerston are ok. I liked the open spaces in the area, especially the long, empty sandy beaches. Lots of boats trips too. We went horse riding along a beach - lovely. Plenty of things like bike hire. Harry Potter location at Alnwick castle.

I have done hols on my own with my daughter for 5 years now. The evenings were hard at first, but the days fun. Lots of lovely memories of simple things like collecting shells on the beach and seeing a kingfisher.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £84/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • young
    young Posts: 87 Forumite
    Agree! A short break at Disneyland Paris would be perfect. Six is a great age for a trip there and you'd both enjoy it equally.

Under 7 stay and eat for FREE this year at Disneyland as its their 15th anniversary.

Get it booked! ;-)
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,020
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    young wrote: »
    Agree! A short break at Disneyland Paris would be perfect. Six is a great age for a trip there and you'd both enjoy it equally.

Under 7 stay and eat for FREE this year at Disneyland as its their 15th anniversary.

Get it booked! ;-)

THANKS
    Thats a great idea i will consider that for later in the year after he has got his passport renewed.

I looked at haggerston castle website but min stay is 4 nights. really just want something for 2nights. If anyone can recommend any decent hotels around Northumberland (north side) that is geared up for families and kids. Preferably in its own grounds.

thanks again
  • mobilecat
    mobilecat Posts: 104 Forumite
    What about Butlins. Before we had our son we used to like posh holidays but after taking him abroad last year - never again. Butlins is extremely family orientated and has everything you could need for a 6 year old and so much more. If you are nervous about somewhere like that then dont be - as long as you stay in Silver accomodataion its very very good. the only thing is its a little far to Skegness from you but perhaps you could stop somewhere as a day treat on route?

Any Butlins questions dont hesitate to ask as we have been a lot with our little one. The only stress free holiday available - although we are camping this year :)
  • mobilecat
    mobilecat Posts: 104 Forumite
    atpug wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas.
    Camping certainly does sound like fun, but not practical for us, as my son has some health conditions so thus prefer hotels/B&Bs until he is older.

Beamish - too close to us, that’s only 30mins drive from us now. Seek something around 1.5hrs drive+.

Preferably a place located in nice tranquil beauty scenery…..

thanks

Would a caraavan be a comprimise to far?
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,020
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi
    i have looked at Haggerston castle website and dont mind a caravan (as long as its been pet& smoke free - allergies). But one can book min 4nights and it seems a bit pricey to pay around £400 (approx price for decent standard) just for 2 us. hence rather consider a hotel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure