Bank of Scotland Preference Account?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't too sure.

My OH has just applied for a small load £1500 to top up our funds to buy a new car with the Royal Bank Of Scotland.

However, when he was on the phone the girl told him he automatically qualified for a Preference Account, with £1500 credit already on it.

Now for me that was alarm bells. But I really don't understand what this account is.

It's not a credit card, and on the back of the form it states it's an agreed overdraft limit of £1500, but you pay it back like a credit card.

I've looked on the rbs website and can't find any information on it. If it is a proper account then we'd use it as such - paying in money to spend rather than drawing on over draft funds. But if it's just a fancy way of arranging more credit and I can't pay in normal funds, then we won't be signing the form.

If any one has one of these accounts please can you enlighten me - is it a credit account or is it a normal bank account with a high rate overdraft facility?

Thanks

Laura

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Is it Bank of Scotland or Royal Bank of Scotland?

purplepixi wrote: »
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't too sure.

My OH has just applied for a small load £1500 to top up our funds to buy a new car with the Royal Bank Of Scotland.

However, when he was on the phone the girl told him he automatically qualified for a Preference Account, with £1500 credit already on it.

Now for me that was alarm bells. But I really don't understand what this account is.

It's not a credit card, and on the back of the form it states it's an agreed overdraft limit of £1500, but you pay it back like a credit card.

I've looked on the rbs website and can't find any information on it. If it is a proper account then we'd use it as such - paying in money to spend rather than drawing on over draft funds. But if it's just a fancy way of arranging more credit and I can't pay in normal funds, then we won't be signing the form.

If any one has one of these accounts please can you enlighten me - is it a credit account or is it a normal bank account with a high rate overdraft facility?

Thanks

Laura
  • A-ah - looking at the paperwork it's The Bank of Scotland. Not The Royal Bank of Scotland. I didn't know there was a difference!
  • Just did a quick Google, as BOS don't mention it on their site, and it turned up this:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Bank_of_Scotland_Accounts__Review_5716106

Summary: run. Run very very fast, in a completely different direction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure