Plasma TV from Argos - Can I return it?

2»

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    In my opinion the intention of the disclaimer written into the warranty is clear - if you buy your new TV and only use it to display a single, static image for a week, then obviously that image will become burned into the screen. If for example if a company uses the TV to display an information screen all day long in a shop or similar. The company can't be held responsible in such a case.

Now fair enough the disclaimer is there and in a legal sense absolves them of responsibility, but I think it's pretty silly to argue that a new TV that is used for watching television or playing computer games - what I would term 'normal use' - should have an image burned onto its screen after only a few weeks of use.

I wonder what is meant by 'treating the TV carefully' - it is only being used as any normal person would use it, not to display a static image day after day.

even in normal use you have to watch for static images like channel icons,black bars and on games consoles
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    When you say that manufacturers advise being careful with a new TV in the first few months, what exactly to they advise - what do they mean by treating a TV carefully?
    I can't recall exactly what they advised, it maybe worth checking out somewhere like AVforums for the info but this was something I found after a quick bit of googling which is similar to what I've read in tha past from the likes of Panasonic and Pioneer.
    That said, it’s better to take precautionary steps during the first 200 hours of a plasma TV’s lifespan when the phosphors are still unstable and burn more intensely, making plasma screen burn a real risk. The most common (and correct) advice is to switch to Cinema mode, lower the brightness and contrast and use the plasma TV normally, taking care not to display static pictures or logos for more than 30 minutes. Also, try to use zoom modes to fill up the 16:9 plasma screen when watching 4:3 programmes or 2.85:1 DVDs… for the first 100 to 200 hours.

Obviously if you just use the default dynamic settings out of the box which are usually maximum contrast etc then you're asking for trouble.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure