The Money Club????

Has any one heard of The Money Club? I have had an invitation to join "The UK's Premier "Wholesale" Club" They say that for a first years subscription of £9 (subsequently £89) you get trade prices on nearly everything and are guaranteed to save in the first year. Is this too good to be true or is it too good to miss?

If anyone has had experience please let me know before I risk wasting my money or getting tied in to something I can't get out of. Thank you Sue

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pricerunner and kelkoo do a similar role and are free :)
  • Hi Sue, i had a call from them ,today, offering me 8weeks 'free' moneysaving. All i have to do is pay the £79 one off registration fee, if, at the end of 8 weeks, i don't want to continue, they'll refund it. If i do want to go on, they'll then take the £99 annual fee. Would give the 8weeks ago, but am a bit worried that if i cancel, which i would almost certainly do, that i wouldn't get the money back. Did get a free membership to one of these clubs before, but there was nothing that i wanted to buy, so didn't save a penny! Was hoping that Martin might have words of advice about these people, but found no mention of them, when doing a search.
    This is my first post, but have often looked on the forum, and enjoyed the threads, so thought i'd give it a go!

Ann (forever trying to save money, not too successfully:grin: )
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Another old thread - check out the post counts of the "defenders"... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=54464&highlight=Money+club
  • Hi

I joined, failed to get my membership cancelled within 8weeks (I am sure I was told 90 days on the phone) and now find myself about £180 down and considering legal action. Don't touch them with someone elses barge pole...

They claim to be able to save money but this site if for people too lazy to do a search for themselves. I cant even find the sections for stuff I want.

I am totally disgruntled and if there are any legal eagles willing to give me some advice on how to proceed on the grounds they are not providing the services they advertise I would appreciate it.

cheers

Ian
  • Zebedee69
    Zebedee69 Posts: 1,034 Forumite
    Sounds completely rubbish!!! I wont touch it with a bardgepole!
  • Thanks, but I signed up before looking in this space. I will try to keep people posted about how I get out of it.
    Phoned bank who will cancel DD when it arrives.
    Note that the money club has no e-mail address of telephone no until signed up?
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was called the other day after they sent info through. I did think the costs involved were way too high and I couldn't see any benefit with the other resources available online.
    I know most cashback sites have an annual fee of about £5 but that's easily reached (sometimes in one transaction).
    I'd be very wary of glossy magazines and wonderful promises.
  • Has anyone had any recent experience of this? Just had a call from them and said I want to check out a few forums first. My guess is it's a load of garbage...thanks
  • My advice would be don't do it!!!

About 4 years ago I had a friend who worked in the call centre for the Money Club, based in Birmingham.

It was basically a scam - they take your fee off you and charge you X amount a month for "special offers" etc and deals with their suppliers for cheaper products.......all of which could be found and/or beaten with 5 minutes on google/pricerunner/kelkoo etc etc etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure