Testing power from car cigarette lighter socket ?

Viz_2
Viz_2 Posts: 720 Forumite
This may seem like a silly question but is there a way to test if my cars cigarette lighter socket is working ? I don't have anything (yet) to plug into it to test.
I have tried the actual car lighter but it doesn't get hot.

I have a Ford Focus.

I have just purchased a sat nav unit and may need to use to socket as a power source.
Never buy a stupid dwarf -
Its not big and its not clever.

Comments

• ooo000ooo
    ooo000ooo Posts: 577 Forumite
    If you've a voltage tester stick one prong straight down the middle of it to the centre contact (positive) and the other prong onto the inside for negative. In the absence of a voltage tester find a 12 volt bulb, solder a couple of wires onto the contacts and do the above, if the bulb lights it's live. Make sure the ignition is on. If you don't have either of the above you could stick a bit of wire into the centre contact and then brush it against the outer edge and watch for a spark but then you blow the ciggy lighter fuse and you have to replace it :)
  • Viz_2
    Viz_2 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Thought i would check the fuses first. Guess what the fuse is broken.

Would there be any major reason for this to break ? I don't really use the socket. Although other half has used to charge her phone previously.
    Never buy a stupid dwarf -
    Its not big and its not clever.
  • ooo000ooo
    ooo000ooo Posts: 577 Forumite
    Could've been a dodgy fuse, damp, or something else on the same circuit blowing the fuse. Replace it, keep a spare in the car somewhere and keep an eye on it.
  • steady__eddie
    steady__eddie Posts: 1,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Lidl are currently doing a cigarette lighter extension thingy which gives you 3 sockets for £2-99. On the side of it is an l.e.d. which glows when it's plugged in. If you have a recurrent fault, visual inspection of the l.e.d. would probably be easier than checking your fuses and you could discharge your battery even quicker !
  • Quinny_2
    Quinny_2 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Be careful with those multi plug things,as they are not keen on something that draws a lot of amps.

Let me explain.......

A couple of weeks ago,I was running my amateur radio set,and my cool box off the multi plug.Because of the current draw,the plug got hot,and melted.

If you buy one,then make sure it can handle what you intend to use it for,or don't try and run a load of things at once.

Ken.
    That's my mutt in the picture above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family