Cost of removing a sebaceous cyst privately?

2»

Comments

• hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I had a small garden pea sized one on my neck and my GP got me an appointment in 6 weeks to have it removed. By the time the six weeks came round it had got much smaller, so I told him I didnt need the appointment. That was 5 years ago and its never grown that big again.

I had a large skin tag on my neck removed at a Sk:n clinic for £70 and was well pleased to get rid of that having had it all my life :(
    2010 Posts: 5,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    See post #4.
    That was about 18 months ago, maybe the rules have changed since then.
    I was told that this type of cyst would keep on growing and would have to be removed, so I can`t see why it can`t be done on the NHS.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Neither can I. Ask again or check out NICE.
  • The only way to get cysts removed on the NHS now is to claim that they are causing you anxiety, depression, etc.. and come from it from that angle. If the cyst is in a location that is causing discomfort (such as the waistline i.e. where your trousers/skirt sits) or on your spine (so you can't sit back on a chair or lie on your back in bed), then the NHS should remove it. All other cases are regarded as cosmetic and you will have to play the 'anxiety/worry/feeling of depression' card, to just have an outside chance of a free excision. I think this goes for most PCT's/Trusts but may vary from one to another. I did some extensive research in my own area - Tower Hamlets (London) and through an internet search even found a copy of the referral form the GP completes (this is how I found out about the 'causing me mental health issues' option). The form also allows for other exacerbating circumstances that would support a free removal so any excuse is worth a punt when you are sitting in the GP's office.
    I have to say though that I got so fed up with my multiple GP visits that in the end, despite all the above, I went private to have two cysts removed - one on my upper arm on my bicep and one on my shoulder at the cost of £450 all in for an initial consultation, the two excisions and a follow up consultation. The procedure was done by a registered cosmetic surgeon.

I have always had cysts developing since I was about 10 (I am now 38). Up until about 10 years ago they were all removed on the NHS no problem but now I don't expect too much......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure