I bought a clocked car!

Options
2»

Comments

• Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A mileage discrepancy doesn't appear to be a valid reason to refuse to perform the test - http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/tgx03000101.htm
  • kate.2000
    Options
    I understand it should not be a valid reason to refuse a test - but it seems madness that it shouldn't have any details of the previous recorded mileages if there is a discrepancy! It just seems like an easy way for this to be hidden from a new buyer!
  • Altarf
    Options
    Not being sarcastic, because clearly you have been taken for a ride by the dealer, but the information is available, just not printed on the MOT certificate.

You can log on to the MOT database if you have the document reference number from the registration certificate (V5C), which any honest dealer would be happy to provide you with, and there you can see the MOT history of the car (since computerised MOTs), including the mileage when that MOT was done. So any discrepancy would be revealed.

Why have VOSA chosen not to reveal any discrepancies on a new certificate, maybe the difference is OK (replacement speedo), maybe it isn't (clocked car). What about if someone has only removed the last 12 months 100,000 mileage, so it is not less than last year. How would you phrase any statement on the MOT certificate that was meaningful and didn't engage the MOT test centre in an argument with the owner of a clocked/not-clocked car, and didn't leave VOSA open to being sued. And they probably would argue the mileage is available on-line if you want to look at it and come to your own conclusion.
  • kate.2000
    Options
    Understood - I now know that you can view this online. I now know this is necessary even when purchasing from a dealer - but many people are not aware that this is necessary and leaves the door open for confusion and exploitation. Surely a list of previous MOT mileages would not be too much trouble on an MOT - and if there is a discrepency even a note to say why or even unaware why - would put people in the know to ask more questions.

The MOT was the only paper given to me by the dealer that was not stapled shut. As most people keep their MOT to hand, any mileage discrepency (if recorded) would be likely to be spotted quickly. I think it would be really hard to sell a car with clocked mileage if it was shown on an MOT certificate. If it was just a case of the odometer being replaced - then the car seller (private or dealer) would have no problem with someone doing a check on the car - only someone selling a dodgy car would have a problem with a car being checked out!
  • Altarf
    Options
    Listing the mileages from previous tests on the current certificate, with no comment or explanation (that could be misinterpreted), just a statement of fact, is a good idea. I would guess that the reason it isn't there, is that the current computerised system just replicated the previous paper system which didn't (and couldn't) have it, so it wasn't added.
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 24 September 2009 at 11:34AM
    Options
    the interior of a car that has done 104k would not be in a very good condition.
    In a well maintained car, you'd struggle to judge how much mileage it has covered without looking into odometer. A 200k mileage car interior might appear far better than a 20k mileage car!!
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Altarf
    Options
    No matter how well looked after, if you are comparing a 200k against a 20k car the 200k car will more likely have a shiny steering wheel and gear knob, worn pedal rubbers, very sad looking drivers seat, etc.
  • Freddie_Snowbits
    Options
    Every car I have bought it says they cannot guarantee the mileage.

Even the car I have now shows only 45,000 miles on the clock which is good, but I now the speedo was exchanged at 15,000 miles. caveat emptor and tuff
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure