E: 26/09 Pick Me Up Issue 38

Comments

• fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    hiya :D:rotfl: yep, sometimes in the mag clues they use dashes to let you know it's a 2 word answer but am sure you don't add the dashes in the entry form, when filling in the crossword grid to send postal entry there's no space for a dash :D so makes sense to me how can the answer have a dash in the answer :D
    if the answers are read through the machine surely the dash would make another 'digit' & make the answer look like
    sausage-meat which would be 8 instead of 7,4 :eek::rotfl:
    in all the years princessmoneysaver & me posted these on here am sure we never put dashes in the answers :)

i'm going to phone them tomorrow & ask now got me curious :rotfl:
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• fire**fly wrote: »
    hiya :D:rotfl: yep, sometimes in the mag clues they use dashes to let you know it's a 2 word answer but am sure you don't add the dashes in the entry form, when filling in the crossword grid to send postal entry there's no space for a dash :D so makes sense to me how can the answer have a dash in the answer :D
    if the answers are read through the machine surely the dash would make another 'digit' & make the answer look like
    sausage-meat which would be 8 instead of 7,4 :eek::rotfl:
    in all the years princessmoneysaver & me posted these on here am sure we never put dashes in the answers :)

Let us know what they say...I have always entered with the hypen but it's a personal thing. But I guess the 'computer' doesn't probably care - I'll be interested in the outcome:)
    The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
    :TBig thanks to all competition posters:T
  • fire**fly
    found an old one when princesspixiedust filled in for me & she also never used dashes

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3519589&highlight=pick+me+up+issue

:)
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

found an old one when princesspixiedust filled in for me & she also never used dashes

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3519589&highlight=pick+me+up+issue

I don't think there is a right or wrong....but it will be interesting to see what they say. I suspect it probably doesn't matter and they'll accept both.

FWIW when I fill in the postal entry I add the -
  • fire**fly
    Let us know what they say...I have always entered with the hypen but it's a personal thing. But I guess the 'computer' doesn't probably care - I'll be interested in the outcome:)

so will i :) knowing them they'll proberly say it doesn't matter :rotfl:but will let you know :D

• fire**fly
    I don't think there is a right or wrong....but it will be interesting to see what they say. I suspect it probably doesn't matter and they'll accept both.

FWIW when I fill in the postal entry I add the -

yes, you can on the puzzle entry but you can't on the crossword entry :)
    as there's no space in the grid to put a dash

403945163.jpg

01 Across: SAUSAGE MEAT
    05 Across: SOPPING
    07 Across: CAPTAIN
    10 Across: ORCHESTRATE
    11 Across: PRE-EMPT
    12 Across: DEFENCE
    13 Across: LIP-READ
    16 Across: CALIBRE
    18 Across: REENACTMENT
    19 Across: STARTLE
    20 Across: EN SUITE
    21 Across: SIGHTSEEING

01 Down: SUPPOSE
    02 Down: AUGMENT
    03 Down: EXCITED
    04 Down: TRADE-IN
    05 Down: SLUG PELLETS
    06 Down: INCOMPETENT
    08 Down: PLAYFULNESS
    09 Down: NERVE CENTRE
    14 Down: PERHAPS
    15 Down: DIALECT
    16 Down: CATS EYE
    17 Down: BATTING

i thought that was what SHADO was questioning ..

# 4
    SHADO
    post_old.gif Today, 1:56 AM

''Good morning,

When entering the answers on the website do you need to include the dashes? i.e. as in 11 & 13 across and 4 down.
    Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!''

yes, you can on the puzzle entry but you can't on the crossword entry :)
    as there's no space in the grid to put a dash

403945163.jpg

01 Across: SAUSAGE MEAT
    05 Across: SOPPING
    07 Across: CAPTAIN
    10 Across: ORCHESTRATE
    11 Across: PRE-EMPT
    12 Across: DEFENCE
    13 Across: LIP-READ
    16 Across: CALIBRE
    18 Across: REENACTMENT
    19 Across: STARTLE
    20 Across: EN SUITE
    21 Across: SIGHTSEEING

01 Down: SUPPOSE
    02 Down: AUGMENT
    03 Down: EXCITED
    04 Down: TRADE-IN
    05 Down: SLUG PELLETS
    06 Down: INCOMPETENT
    08 Down: PLAYFULNESS
    09 Down: NERVE CENTRE
    14 Down: PERHAPS
    15 Down: DIALECT
    16 Down: CATS EYE
    17 Down: BATTING

i thought that was what SHADO was questioning ..

# 4
    SHADO
    post_old.gif Today, 1:56 AM

''Good morning,

When entering the answers on the website do you need to include the dashes? i.e. as in 11 & 13 across and 4 down.
    Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!''

I do with the crossword:o, I often add a line in crosswords where two words are required or a hypen where is says - I know, I know:rotfl:
  • fire**fly
    I do with the crossword:o, I often add a line in crosswords where two words are required or a hypen where is says - I know, I know:rotfl:

:D well, in all the years since the mag came out & been doing them/seen various questions/answers/query's/replys etc you're the first i've seen/heard/say they put a dash inbetween the words on the grid in the mag :D:rotfl:it would be brill if you were correct & we should all be doing it :D :eek::rotfl:

• djc58
    djc58 Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    fire**fly wrote: »
    how can the answer have a dash in the answer :D
    if the answers are read through the machine surely the dash would make another 'digit' ...

I never thought about it, It may not matter to some people's opinoin but we need know what do the machine reading the answers which is more important, E.G will it ignore dash or count it! :eek:

Thanks for phone them and to find out for us:A

We learn something in everyday :D

Don't Judge My Path If You Haven't Walked My Journey
    .... :A
  • fire**fly
    well, i've been on the phone to them on/off all morning with no joy :( & can only get through to an answering machine at the end of the process, so have left a message, have also emailed them so hopefully they will get back to us & as soon as/if they do will update :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure