Phoenix Life & Pensions - Endowment Policies

Hi

In the past my wife and I have purchased 3 endowment policies via Royal & Sun Alliance to cover the purchase properties previously.

Having been advised that these policies were going to under perform to somewhere in the region of £18k :shocked: We made provision to cover this shortfall in other ways (and also recovered some monies for the mis-selling of the endowment to me and my wife :beer: ).

My understanding of endowments are that if you cash them in early the endowment company take a big bite out of the investment so continued to make payments into the endowment policies.

Royal & Sun Alliance decided to get these endowments off their books recently and transfered the endowments to a holding company called Pheonix Life & Pensions.

Phoenix/ RSA have previously purchased annuity insurance cover , these annuities (52,000 of them) now represent a risk to future prosperity of Pheonix and they are going to sell them onto the Prudential group because they have decided to mitigate a number of risks they feel the annuity insurance causes them.

Today I've received a letter from Phoenix to advise that all future bonuses are to be reduced by as much as upto 1.4% as a result of this sale to the Prudential Group.

I just cannot believe this complete and utter farce that is being played out here, my wife and I have swallowed the fact that our original investment is to underperform what we have been advised by upto £18k and now we have a letter from some group to say we are going to be further impacted by upto 1.4% more :mad: !!

I would appreciate any advice / views that anyone may have on this process as it strikes me that I'm not the only dumb schmuck that Royal & Sun Alliance must have conned over the last few years

I look forward to any views

Regards
Dave

Comments

• vinno65
    vinno65 Posts: 290 Forumite
    Hi Big_Dave,

Conned by a reputable life company?. Surely not. These people are here to help you and only have your best interests at heart!
    I'll quote Johhny Rotten at the Sex Pistols last gig."do you ever feel you've been had"
    regards Vinno
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

My understanding of endowments are that if you cash them in early the endowment company take a big bite out of the investment so continued to make payments into the endowment policies.

That is the case with many endowments but not all.

Whenever I do an endowment review, part the of check is to see whether the surrender penalty can be recouped by other methods. Sometimes you have to take one step back to go two steps forward.
    Royal & Sun Alliance decided to get these endowments off their books recently and transfered the endowments to a holding company called Pheonix Life & Pensions.

R&SA Life was sold to Pheonix Life.
    Phoenix/ RSA have previously purchased annuity insurance cover , these annuities (52,000 of them) now represent a risk to future prosperity of Pheonix and they are going to sell them onto the Prudential group because they have decided to mitigate a number of risks they feel the annuity insurance causes them.

Quite a sensible move from Resolution Life Group. Although last I heard was that the final court hearing to see whether this would be allowed to proceed would not take place until 5th June 2006. Although I have been abroad for over week and have about 8 financial papers to read after I have caught up with my post!!!
    Today I've received a letter from Phoenix to advise that all future bonuses are to be reduced by as much as upto 1.4% as a result of this sale to the Prudential Group.

Do they actually say that directly? That seems disgraceful. They are selling part of the book to Pru to reduce financial liability and improve the underlying financial strength of the company, which in theory should have a positive impact on bonuses.
    just cannot believe this complete and utter farce that is being played out here, my wife and I have swallowed the fact that our original investment is to underperform what we have been advised by upto £18k and now we have a letter from some group to say we are going to be further impacted by upto 1.4% more

The projections are not advice and they are not accurate to what you will get back. They are just examples. The R&SA policies should be viewed at the lowest rate of the three projections and to be on the safe side, I would assume it to be lower than that as well. This probably means that you are looking at more than 18k as a shortfall.
    I would appreciate any advice / views that anyone may have on this process as it strikes me that I'm not the only dumb schmuck that Royal & Sun Alliance must have conned over the last few years

R&SA have no connection with your policies any more so it is not them doing this. So, you cannot blame the "more than dog" for this mess (well actually you can if you think that selling up to a venture capital company was ever going to help the policy holders!). Resolution Life Group are in charge and their primary concern is to make money for the investors into the company. Not the policyholder. Sure, they have to do it within FSA rules but if you have a Resolution Life Group policy (of any sort), you should be straght off to your nearest IFA to get a full and proper review of it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    They are selling part of the book to Pru to reduce financial liability and improve the underlying financial strength of the company...

Unfortunately this usually means you have to pay the buyer to take the liability away.

Post some info about your policies and let's have a look:

Guaranteed sum assured
    Declared bonuses
    Surrender value (ring up)
    Monthly payment
    Maturity date
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Big_Dave_8
    Big_Dave_8 Posts: 11 Forumite
    vinno65 wrote:
    Hi Big_Dave,

Conned by a reputable life company?. Surely not. These people are here to help you and only have your best interests at heart!
    I'll quote Johhny Rotten at the Sex Pistols last gig."do you ever feel you've been had"
    regards Vinno
    Thanks for the supportive comments vinno ..... and yes I've been feeling like I've been had for a number of years now .... but kept on hoping it might get better .... it looks like I'd have been aswell forgetting about them ages ago!!
  • Big_Dave_8
    dunstonh wrote:

Do they actually say that directly? That seems disgraceful. They are selling part of the book to Pru to reduce financial liability and improve the underlying financial strength of the company, which in theory should have a positive impact on bonuses.

Yes the letter says....

"the reinsurance has had an effect on with profits policies . This is because the amount we paid to the Prudential Group exceeded our reserves for the annuities in question. This has reduced our profits for 2005. In turn this will result in a reduction in future bonuses "what bonuses" :confused: that will reduce payouts, in many cases by up to 1.4%"

Good business for Phoenix .... very poor business for its policy holders!!
    dunstonh wrote:
    The projections are not advice and they are not accurate to what you will get back. They are just examples. The R&SA policies should be viewed at the lowest rate of the three projections and to be on the safe side, I would assume it to be lower than that as well. This probably means that you are looking at more than 18k as a shortfall.

Yes - I've viewed it at the lowest projected rate
    dunstonh wrote:
    Sure, they have to do it within FSA rules but if you have a Resolution Life Group policy (of any sort), you should be straght off to your nearest IFA to get a full and proper review of it.

I may just do that in the near future ... any idea how I find an IFA suitable for reviewing these facts ?

Thanks for your views Dunstonh
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    any idea how I find an IFA suitable for reviewing these facts ?

In theory any IFA is capable. Although like any service industry, you are going to get varying degrees of service. Often the best way is to look at www.unbiased.co.uk and do a postcode search. Do not select any qualification requirements (as that is highly flawed and rarely works) and see who comes up local to you. If the telephone number of the IFA is not a local telephone or the address is not local, then do not use them. These will usually be salesforce advisors and you dont want to be seeing anyone from a salesforce. You should get a better service from an "independent" IFA.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Big_Dave_8
    EdInvestor wrote:
    Unfortunately this usually means you have to pay the buyer to take the liability away.

Post some info about your policies and let's have a look:

Hi EdInvestor

We purchased 3 :eek: endowment policies via RSA / Phoenix

Guaranteed sum assured
    Policy 1 = £16k
    Policy 2 = £16k
    Policy 3 = £30k
    Declared bonuses (Last Bonus statement was for 2004 , 2005 has been delayed)
    Policy 1 = £1,234.81
    Policy 2 = £1,234.81
    Policy 3 = £1,037.91
    Surrender value (ring up)
    Policy 1 = £3,600
    Policy 2 = £3,600
    Policy 3 = £5,000
    Monthly payment
    Policy 1 = £31.04
    Policy 2 = £32.35
    Policy 3 = £73.81
    Maturity date
    Policy 1 = 01/02/2020
    Policy 2 = 01/02/2020
    Policy 3 = 01/04/2020

Having paid in £15k into these policies already like many others I feel pretty hacked off with the whole state of affairs.

If I continue to the end of term thats another £22/23k for a return of 3.5% return .... I start to think my money is better off else where like in my offset account or in a maxi isa invested in a good performing fund rather than this set of ... at best incompetent planks ... at worst con merchants (I could use stronger language :mad: ) !!

Any help greatly appreciated :T

Regards
    Dave
  • EdInvestor
    Hi Dave

Could you tell us what these endowments are invested in?

Are they in the With-profits fund?

Could you also post any maturity projections you have @4% growth please.
  • Big_Dave_8
    Hi Ed
    EdInvestor wrote:
    Hi Dave

Could you tell us what these endowments are invested in?

I believe they are invested in the "with profits fund" how would I find out?

I'm unable to see anywhere on the paperwork where the funds are invested?

The policy is the Homeplan Endowment from RSA and states all over paperwork that Homeplan is a "with-profits" plan

EdInvestor wrote:
    Could you also post any maturity projections you have @4% growth please.

Projections are quoted as 3.75% / 4.5% / 5.25%
    Policy 1 £11,000 / £11,900 / £12,800
    Policy 2 £11,000 / £11,900 / £12,800
    Policy 3 £21,300 / £22,800 / £24,500

Thanks
    David
  • EdInvestor
    Thanks David

Are you sure that you've got the guaranteed sum assured/declared bonus figures correct?They appear to be higher than the projected maturity values which is pretty unlikely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport