How much should I spend on Christmas gifts?

I didn't know whether or not to post this on the Christmas thread, so someone please feel free to merge if that's appropriate.

We are currently starting to think about xmas and I have no idea how much we should be spending on gifts. This is the first year where I feel like I know our finances and we should have a reliable income (though it's not a huge income by any means). We don't have kids, but I have literally no idea how much to budget for family members and how much to spend on dh.

How much do most (money saving) people spend? How did you work out the amount to spend?
October Grocery Challenge: £20.65/£150
September Grocery Challenge: I lost track :o/£200
August Grocery Challenge: £92.11/£100 :)

Comments

• Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    You need to work out what you can really afford to spend first.
    Everyone spends differently because everyone has different budgets.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    How much did you spend last year?
    What kind of things do they like?
    Can you make anything instead of buying it?
    Do you have friends who can make things instead of you?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • i have a maximum budget for nieces and nephews of £20 each, however i do try to find things in the sales or on offer and if i can find things cheaper i will buy it and save some cash, i never go over the £20. siblings we had the same budget but we now do a £5 funny gift for each other and usually try to outdo each other and find the most outrageous thing. hubby gets a game for one of his consoles (hopefully in a sale but not always) and then i just look for things in the sale for him like slippers/smellies that he will need through the year anyway.
    DEBT
    31/12/2018 = £21,740.10 - 31/12/2019 = £18,581.29 (14.53% PD)
    31/01/2020 - £18,685.22 (14.05% PD)
  • I should mention, the main gifts we buy are for our sisters, who are all younger than us (16, 18 and 20). We also buy for our parents, but that's about it. We don't have any nieces and nephews yet. :)
    October Grocery Challenge: £20.65/£150
    September Grocery Challenge: I lost track :o/£200
    August Grocery Challenge: £92.11/£100 :)
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    In our family we usually buy something between our grown up children and their partners (£20 approx) plus a "personal" gift for each of them (£10-15).

Siblings we spend about £20 each.

For our grandchildren we spend approximately £25-30 each.

I think it all depends on your individual circumstances. In a few years time when my DH retires (I am already retired) I'm sure our gifts will reduce a bit as we will have far less money available.

Denise
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    My family have come to an agreement not to spend more than £10 on each other - basically because we all used to find it a nightmare trying to think of things we wanted to use as suggestions.

We actually find it makes for gifts which are a bit more fun and silly (in a nice way).
  • spend what you can afford. simple as that.
    We are in the fortunate position that we can save £40 a month thru the year and store it in a separate account.
    We spend
    £50 on each other
    £50 on dd1 (6yo) this is presents from us and a stocking from FC
    £50 on dd2 (3yo) ditto the above!
    £20 each on my mum, my dad, my brother, my sister, my brother in law, my nephew,
    £10 each on our two goddaughters

you can get really good gifts for these amounts imo

(if youre wondering where the rest of the saved money goes, it goes towards food, alcohol, day trip over the festive period, panto tickets etc
  • *Twinkle*
    *Twinkle* Posts: 352 Forumite
    i have a partner, 4 children, 2 neices and 1 sibling,
    Partner £200
    Child 1 £250
    Child 2 £250
    Child 3 £100
    Child 4 £100
    Niece 1 £30
    Niece 2 £30
    Sibling £20
    we put away £50 a week all year and that includes food drink tree decorations cards paper ect and also one of my childrens birthday is right after Christmas so we budget for that too :)
    Skint, but happy (ish):p
  • Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We usually spend around £20 on family presents.

I'm a bit scared to add up what we spent on DD and DS last year.. may have been around £100 each!!

Me and DH both chip in for a joint present that we both want.. this year we would like a PS4, usually its not so extreme!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure