PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,616
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 2 February 2013 at 12:40PM
    First grocery shops of the month were done yesterday - spent £21.73, which shocked me when I added it up this morning a I don't seem to have got very much for it :eek:

From B'n'M I got two boxes of Muesli (I discovered after they were scanned these were on a '2 for' offer I hadn't seen signage for - saving me 58p :T) which equate to breakfast for about 4 weeks even if I don't have something else for a change.

From Mr T I got 3x2 litres of (filtered) milk for DS which should keep him going for the week, two 500g tubs of soya spread (for me, I'm currently trying to exclude dairy from my diet), 2x500g of organic minced beef, 2xtwin packs of garlic baguettes (all the items mentioned up to now being on multi-buy offers), a half dozen eggs, a loaf of bread, some breaded ham for sandwiches, and 1 litre whoopsied apple juice.

Will have to go back to the shops on Monday for fruit and veg for the week, but can't think of a single thing I should need before then. I shouldn't need meat as I have loads of boneless chicken thighs in the freezer from a C0stco trip last month, and will only be using one pack of mince this weekend (plus I have chops, sausages, burgers and various other cuts of meat - and a fair amount of fish - in the freezers). I don't actually have space in my freezers for anything else, so shouldn't be tempted by any meat offers/whoopsies - and I think that may be what keeps me under budget this month ;)
    Cheryl
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 February 2013 at 2:54PM
    £13 spent in Iceland - we are now stocked up for the next 10 days or so:D

That's this weeks budget spent up just about :) Plus our new week, in budget terms, starts today. We shouldn't need to spend anything now apart from perhaps milk depending on how much of that we use this week.
    Bf has chocolate bars and packets of his favourite crisps ,enough to last him 2 weeks minimum, and I'm all set for fruit (got myself a sneaky packet of curly wurlys too hehe). We have plenty of ham and cheese for our sandwich fillings.

Got a new 3lt bottle of juice so that should last me a good while as bf doesn't drink it .

So all in all I'm very happy. The fridge always looks bare this time of year as we only ever much salad etc when it's warmer so looking forward to a change in our diets around May! plus we lift out our meats etc to defrost the night before so we never have any of that in there either!

Hope you're all feeling positive!
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Forgot yogurts, squash and dishwasher tablets so had to have a spend day after all :(

Off to update sig.

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • £1.50 added to the signature. Needed bread rolls and this is all they had a T's when i sent DH.

February GC £26.68/£250

• Help. Tried to make lemon curd in slow cooker but its very runny....so I had a quick look on mse and found a recipe for making ice cream using mascarpone.....my iPad died and now I can't find the recipe again. I've been looking for ages and am about to cry ... Can anyone point me in the right direction please !
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,526
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This thread moves quick doesn't it!

Just back from Sainsbury's and spent £28.33. Just needed a few fresh vegetables and some fruit, milk etc. Got some strange looks because I appeared to be buying the entire stock of courgette's to make courgette soup with! We've got lots of meat still in the freezer, which can probably carry us over to the following week as well.

Oh and you know those vouchers that they give out saying how much cheaper your branded shop was...well next week we'll be getting the grand total of £0.01p off our shop!
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I have sat and made my price book at last. All my scrappy lists of best prices are now in a spreadsheet. Should help!

One thing - I never looked at bags of grated cheese, in fact I rather sneered at the thought - why not grate your own? BUT in Aldi yesterday the bag of grated mature cheddar was 4.33/kg, a good price but even the grated value cheese was more expensive than blocks in Sainsbury's. is this a regular price? Why? Is it off cuts or something? Does anyone know?

Oh the things I am now using brain space on...!
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Snowing here, ugh! I am taking inspiration from the Mortgage free in three blog and having a baking day. Trying to prevent the family from feeling deprived. I am going to start some of her fridge bread and make some muffins and scones. Will bake some spudatas at the same time to micro for lunches. I will also make some jellies for the kids, not very frugal but for some reason I have quite a few sachets so trying to use them up.
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • dizzy_lizzie
    dizzy_lizzie Posts: 2,952 Forumite
    Oops I'm a bit late adding this months challenge. I went over in January so I've decided to do this month to the 22nd, payday, rather than the end of the month.
    Can you please add me to this months challenge.
    £160 again but over fewer days this time.
    Thank you and good luck to everyone for this month.
    x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    very small spends yesterday of 65p kitchen roll and 90p for bubble bath £1.55 to add.

Took DS to a party this morning and was going to call in I**land on the way back but was offered a lift home...mmmm 20 mins walk to the shop then wait however long for bus versus a lift home in 5 mins...the lift won lol....looks like freezer surprise for tea then xxx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure