PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Proof of deposit - Mortgage

Comments

• What about if the same guy had bought the car for £20k, and then sold the same car the next day for £20k? Would that be fraud?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What about if the same guy had bought the car for £20k, and then sold the same car the next day for £20k? Would that be fraud?

Clearly there was no intention to actually own a car, you are just buying a car to cover your tracks! Bordering on money laundering never mind fraud. You would still have to declare the loan on your mortgage application, in which case the lender would do some basic maths.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • well that guy had to do something in order to get a morgage i guess.
    Some of you here are behaving like proper comusnists, forgeting that the banks themselves arent as clean behaving
    sample
    me deposit 10 percent -- bank says that i didnt pass their credit score
    me that very same evening going for 25 percent deposit = passing their credit score with flying colours.
    i thought credit score was mainly to verifyt if applicant been ok throughout to pay bills etc
  • Fire Fox - I think you muddle my legal question with a moral one. It's perfectly possible to buy a car, think you've made a mistake, and sell it on. People do it all the time. I was (and I was only asking) asking what constitutes legal fraud, not to define what counts as a genuine intention or not.
  • Firefox is correct.
    Most building societies will only lend to you if you either have saved the deposit, you have raised capital by leveraging another asset or if you borrow the money from a family member and they do not want it back. Look at your ts and cs on the mortgage application form. They especially bm track back the money to its source hence their question they have asked your solicitor
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Fire Fox - I think you muddle my legal question with a moral one. It's perfectly possible to buy a car, think you've made a mistake, and sell it on. People do it all the time. I was (and I was only asking) asking what constitutes legal fraud, not to define what counts as a genuine intention or not.

If you ask enough people someone will tell you it is fine to break the law. I am not addressing a moral issue as I don't have any desire to 'protect' big business, I have a desire to not encourage an otherwise law-abiding citizen to commit fraud. If your fictional person genuinely intended to purchase a car they would sell the mistake and buy another OR use the money to pay back the car loan. Proving intention is a very large part of practicing law so it is highly relevant to your query.

"No precise legal definition of fraud exists; many of the offences referred to as fraud are covered by the Theft Acts of 1968 and 1978. Generally, the term is used to describe such acts as deception, bribery, forgery, extortion, corruption, theft, conspiracy, embezzlement, misappropriation, false representation, concealment of material facts and collusion. For practical purposes fraud may be defined as the use of deception with the intention of obtaining an advantage, avoiding an obligation or causing loss to another party.

Obviously persons outside as well as inside the University can perpetrate fraud. The criminal act is the attempt to deceive and attempted fraud is therefore treated as seriously as accomplished fraud."
    http://www.internalaudit.bham.ac.uk/audit/fraud.shtml
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • hi,
    I am first time buyer and buying a house for 96000. My mortgage was refused as I wanted to pay 10% deposit. I was then advised by my mortgage adviser that as I am working part time, if i go for 15% deposit it would not be a problem.
    In order to gather my deposit, my mum has given me 3000 as gift ,3000 from my cousin as a gift and i had to borrow 1700 from my friend. When I went to the solicitors and she went through the application , there was a question regarding the deposit that have to borrowed it? I have explained that my mom and my cousins have giften me some money and i borrowed 1700 from one of my closed friend.She then advised me to get letters from all the parties who have donated you gift and lent you money and that they do not acquire any interest in the property. I have handed those letters to my solicitors.
    My solicitors has said that she has to sent all the letters to mortgage lender for them to aprove it.
    I am a bit worried that although the money has been transfered straight from their accounts into my accounts. I do not know why she needs an approval?
    2nd worry is that whether the mortgage lender can withdray the mortgage offer or not,

i am having sleepless nights as i desperatly needs the house as i have one disabled son and expecting out second child.

please can you guy tell me why all this?i know it is to do with money laundering but i work for the same bank who i have applied mortgage with
  • We had 40,000 gifted to us from mine and my husband's parents. part of this was to repay neagtive equity on our current house and the rest for the deposit on the new place!
    For our solicitors acting for our purchase we had to provide a bank statement showing the money being transferred from my parents account to ours and letter saying they had gifted the money and had no interest in the property.
    For the solicitor acting for our sale we only had to supply a letter saying the money had come from parents-no bank statements.
    Everything was fine-like you I was really worried that it would affect our mortgage offer, but it didn't!
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I also had a substantial gifted deposit - arrived 30 days before we made mortgage application, from France by bank transfer.
    I provided a bank statement showing its arrival and said it was early inheritance and it was never questioned, nor a letter from my mother required. I too had many sleepless nights about being accused of being a drugs dealer or something. It's hard to stay rational when you're worrying about everything going wrong with your first house purchase!
  • G_M wrote: »
    Who has asked for the proof? The estate agent? Your mortgage provider? Your solicitor?

All of them should have had half a mind to enquire or at least be aware.

This might help

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/estate-agents.pdf
    I am a Mortgage Advisor
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Advisor, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure