Disability Living Allowance and Jobseekers' Allowance (Income Based

seven-day-weekend
seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
edited 6 April 2009 at 8:32PM in Benefits & tax credits
My son's girlfriend has applied for DLA.

If she gets it, will it affect her Jobseekers' Allowance?
(AKA HRH_MUngo)
Member #10 of £2 savers club
Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite

No, also DLA is not means tested.;)
    Good luck.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Dray_2
    Dray_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2009 at 4:07PM

Like wot above said :D

You don't say what level she hopes to get it, or whether you/they share a home. As you've heard, it isn't means tested. So yup, you can claim Jobseekers and be available for work. And work and get Disability Living Allowance.

But there's a little catch. DLA comes in a number of flavours (non of them chocky chip ice cream flavour). Mobility. It's designed to help people get more mobile or get help with mobility. Two levels there, lower rate, and higher rate. Higher rate mobility may entitle her to amongst other things, free public transport. And she keeps the money. Lower rate isn't much - not much more than 15 quid a week, but it'll do no more than pay for a few bus fares to work per week.

Then there's motobility on Higher Rate - paying for a limited lease and/or blue badge and car. Well over my head. I'm on lower rate :) However dig around the forums and you'll find a fuller explanation.

Care component comes in three flavours. Lower, Middle and Higher. If you share a home, and she gets middle or higher, you may be entitled to claim carers allowance, but how much you would get depends on whether you claim income support together.

That's what if. What's a definite 'if' is I really hope she had an advice center help her. Everyone I know online who didn't, failed.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Hi thanks for your replies.

I didn't think it would affect her JSA. I don't think she will get more than the lower rate in both (she is diagnosed with Aspergers' Syndrome), but every little helps.

She and my son do not live together (she lives with her mum) and she has no children.

She was advised to apply for it by a Disability Advisor; however she left it too late to get professional help before the date on the form , so between us (her, our son, and my husband and myself) have done the best we can.

We have said how her condition affects her everyday life, neither minimising nor maximising her condition, and answered all the questions.

She also has sent in a report on her condition done by an Ed Psych; we have referred to this when filling in the form.

If she is unsuccessful we will advise her to appeal and this time get professional help!

Thanks once again.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Would you not get a disability premium top-up to the JSA award?
  • seven-day-weekend
    cifpower wrote: »
    Would you not get a disability premium top-up to the JSA award?

It's not me applying, it's my son's girlfriend.

I don't know. Would she get a disability premium top-up? Is that as well as or instead of DLA?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Hi thanks for your replies.

I didn't think it would affect her JSA. I don't think she will get more than the lower rate in both (she is diagnosed with Aspergers' Syndrome), but every little helps.

She and my son do not live together (she lives with her mum) and she has no children.

She was advised to apply for it by a Disability Advisor; however she left it too late to get professional help before the date on the form , so between us (her, our son, and my husband and myself) have done the best we can.

We have said how her condition affects her everyday life, neither minimising nor maximising her condition, and answered all the questions.

She also has sent in a report on her condition done by an Ed Psych; we have referred to this when filling in the form.

If she is unsuccessful we will advise her to appeal and this time get professional help!

Thanks once again.

Hi there

And good luck with this.

My son age 14 has Aspergers syndrome, also has anxiety disorders, where he has DLA due to his needs, help, personal care etc etc.

I know every person who has this varies from one to another, but we were turned down for DLA for him at first, and went to tribunal, where then it was awarded for him, it seems to be common at first with being turned down, but if this is the case, keep it going.

Good luck, I see the other posters have given useful and helpful advice, fingers crossed.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It's not me applying, it's my son's girlfriend.

I don't know. Would she get a disability premium top-up? Is that as well as or instead of DLA?

If she gets any rate of DLA she will get the disability premium with her JSA. This is in addition to the DLA. I know the disability premium has gone as far as ESA is concerned but I think it is still payable with JSA.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Thanks all for your help.

I know my son told me she would be happy with even the lowest ( one component at £18), so an extra bit on her JSA will be even better.

We will persevere as I think she should get something for mobility at least as she has trouble finding her way round, whilst an element of dyspraxia and also an inner ear problem, cause her balance problems and she falls over sometimes.

She also needs certain help and support in her everyday life which other young women do not need and therefore I think she should get the care component too.

Thanks once again.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • seven-day-weekend
    di3004 wrote: »
    Hi there

And good luck with this.

My son age 14 has Aspergers syndrome, also has anxiety disorders, where he has DLA due to his needs, help, personal care etc etc.

I know every person who has this varies from one to another, but we were turned down for DLA for him at first, and went to tribunal, where then it was awarded for him, it seems to be common at first with being turned down, but if this is the case, keep it going.

Good luck, I see the other posters have given useful and helpful advice, fingers crossed.;)

So does my son who is aged 29, but he is not as bad as his girlfriend and as he has got older has acquired various coping stategies.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • hi there,

I'm currently claiming DLA higher rate, but have recently had by renewal claim cancelled, even though I can hardly walk. My condition hasn't changed at all, and if anything it has gone worse. Can I appeal and what would I have to do? Any advice would be grateful please
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure