Parents Learning Allowance

2»

Comments

• Taiko wrote: »
    A long time, from what I'm hearing. However, give them a call on 01325 215194 and they should be able to give you a better timeframe.

Thanks i called them and the man said about 3 weeks:mad: i guess its a waiting game
  • I get the impression that Student Finance don't actually know what they're talking about regarding the PLA. I phoned a few weeks before Christmas to see if there would be a chance I'd receive my PLA soon. I was told it would be paid within 3 weeks, though if I was lucky I'd get it before Christmas.

In the first week of January, I phoned back to say I still hadn't had it and they told me they'd changed their minds......I wasn't going to get it because my daughter had just turned 16.

My university has told me that's wrong! I'm a single parent, my daughter is still at school and she is wholly dependant on me - so we phoned them back and they said they'd look into it again.

I've now got a letter saying I'm not entitled (but this time there is no reason) and to be quite honest I just think they're just trying to find any way they can to stall and prevent paying up. DON'T need all this hassle and stress - just want to concentrate on my assignments!!
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Regulation 46 defines PLA entitlement, and it's also covered within Paragraph 82 of the "Grants for Dependants" that the assessors should have read. To quote from above:

"
    1. A Parents’ Learning Allowance (PLA) of up to £1,508, subject to income assessment is available to students with one or more dependent children regardless of the age of the children. It can be paid whether or not student parents use registered or approved childcare."
  • Thanks Taiko. I'll quote that to them if they try fobbing me off with the 'she's too old' excuse again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure