Get a free letter from Father Christmas!

Updated 25 November 2008
What's this about?

Tons of companies are charging parents, grandparents, aunties and uncles a tenner a time to reply to children's letters addressed to Father Christmas. Yet there's an easy way to get a free reply.

How to do it

Children should post a letter, with stamp, before 12 December (though preferably earlier) to:

Santa, Santa's Grotto,
Reindeerland, SAN TA1

And according to the Royal Mail, Father Christmas will write back to them 'personally'.

Feedback

If you've done this in past years or are trying it for the first time now, please report back how it all went. Hopefully the kids will be as astonished and proud as I was when I got my letter 20-odd years ago!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• I've done this for the last 10 or so years (often without a stamp!) and the kids have always received a reply and been thrilled so we'll be doing it again this year!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts,
    light bulb moment: 2/1/2010, reviewed 7/1/2012
  • My kids sent their letter last year to Santa at this address about the end of November, certainly before the cut-off but they didn't get their reply until February. By then Christmas was in the dim and distant past. Get your letter away as early as possible.
  • Penry
    Penry Posts: 69 Forumite
    I did this last year before the deadline, but probably not by much knowing me. We didn't get any response. Will try again, but glad the kids weren't expecting anything.
    Jan 2013 GC 0/250
    Spring OS WL Challenge 0/14
    Save £3600 in 2013 0/3600
  • A slightly different take - several of my friends have children who write to Santa and Santa ALWAYS writes back because its me! Do you have any creative friends? (i can be quite creative with a computer and some sparkly spray! The children write to santa and he (I) writes back a personal letter. Both letters are handed back to the parents who can pre-read what Santa has said and then the letters are left for the children to find - it brings such delight to them, and if I'm honest, to me too! There is no postage involved so letters don't usually take too long in coming back!

I started with one letter a couple of years ago and this year so far am up to 3! Also very good for those with several children or anyone on a very tight budget...
  • I noticed in my local Sainsburys yesterday they have a "postbox" for Santa, and if a child posts a letter in it a reply can be picked up a week later from Customer Services instore. Not sure when they're doing this til though. :xmassmile
  • my 6 year old daughter wrote a beautiful letter last year and was so upset that he didnt write back (we sent it a month early to be extra sure)
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    my children write to father christmas and we 'post' them up the chimney ...

(well, leave them on a cold unlit fire in the evening)

the next morning, along with a sprinkle of 'snow' (flour or pretend snow) there are letters by return on the hearth!:j

i reply, printing it all on the pc, and using coloured paper and sparkly bits!

there are sample letters that you can fill in details on DTLK-kids.com, or i use them as an idea and write my own.

years ago, when i was a nanny, we wrote to father christmas via royal mail ... we got postcards by return, but the older children weren't fooled ... they were all the same! :rolleyes:

xxx
  • I have used the Royal Mail's address and some years we have had letters back and some we have not. The letters are not at all personalised. I also order one every year that is personalised and these are loved by my daughter. This year I have ordered one with Tesco Clubcard Vouchers which is only £2 in clubcard vouchers. The same letter is about £5 to order direct. I ordered my deal last Friday and received a form to fill in with details yesterday (Tuesday) and I have sent the reply off today - they have to receive your details by 13 December. I think this is a good deal as I have loads of clubcard vouchers and not much to spend them on.
  • I wrote last year on behalf of my daughter (then aged 8 mths) but got no reply. Think I was more disappointed!!! Have tried again this year and am awaiting reply
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure